Water line size to house

pirwin21May 9, 2014

Hello all. We are getting started on a build. We currently live above our garage in an apartment. We are on a well and have a 1" line coming into the pressure tank/filtration system in the garage. We are putting our house approximately 200' from our existing garage. Is there any benefit to increasing the size of the pipe to 1 1/4" from the garage to the house or am I better off keeping it the same as our main supply line? Thanks for the insight!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jackfre

Sure there is. The ditch will be open and you get one shot to have "all the water you can need". 1" may be good for the house, but what if you decide to branch off to some other spot for irrigation or whatever. I would consider 1" the minimum given the pressure loss for 200' of pipe. I ran 1 1/2". Don't make your turns with 90's use tee and run a 1' section out and cap it off. Build for the future, whatever it may bring. Good luck on your project.

Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 11:47AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidrt28 (zone 7)

Run 1 1/2". The fittings for 1 1/4 are harder to find and I doubt the pipe is much less expensive.
Not that it came up but FWIW if one is curious about the physics of it, the size doesn't alter the static pressure, but it surely does alter the pressure drop when flowing! I had a plumber once try to tell me the size didn't matter _at all_. If that were the case, all houses could be fed with 1/4" poly tubing! Needless to say I did not use that plumber.

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 7:36PM
More Discussions
Doable...European sink & US bathroom pop-up drain and faucet?
if I purchase a small Belfast sink fron England to...
rantontoo
Water Softener - calling justalurker
Hopefully you are still around. I had reached out a...
toddimt
Help with smelly well water
Just a little background. We bought a house 3 years...
cmonkey
what brand water softener
have 2400 sq ft rancher on town water. do not have...
questionoftheday
Quality of what general contactor is providing
I don't feel qualified to inspect my new home currently...
Larry Lotter
Sponsored Products
Worthy Sectional with Bumper - Key Largo Grass Green
Joybird Furniture
Elk Lighting 93-9104 Nantes Table Lamp - 93-9104
$170.00 | Hayneedle
Ameriwood Open Nightstand
Overstock.com
Sonneman Cubo 14" High Natural Brass and Black Wall Sconce
Euro Style Lighting
Chantilly Palladian Bronze Four-Light Semi-Flush Fixture
$249.99 | Bellacor