I can smell kitty pee but don't know where

phish_gwSeptember 8, 2009

One of our kitties has peed in our living room. I can smell it strongly from the living room or nearby rooms, but I can't tell exactly where. The room is mostly hardwood. I have one of those pee lights to find pee, but it seems to only work on fabric (and the spots it found on the fabric dont smell and I'm suspecting those spots are old kitty vomit spots).

How can I find where they peed? And if it's on wood, what can I do to get rid of the pee smell?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sylviatexas1

Baking soda & corn starch both absorb fluid & odors, but I don't know why your light won't detect the location.

Have you tried it on draperies?

Best luck.

Bookmark   September 8, 2009 at 12:05PM
Fori is not pleased

Can you borrow a friend's dog? They seem pretty good at this.

If your wood is finished with something other than wax, you should be able to just clean it up with mild soap and water. It should be an easy clean. But cats aren't usually that considerate. It's probably on something hard to clean.

I wish I didn't have experience with this. Good luck--there isn't much worse than cat pee smell!

Bookmark   September 8, 2009 at 12:25PM
annzgw

Check the walls and any floor vents you may have.
From experience, the best way to find it is to get down on your hands and knees and crawl around sniffing different areas.

Once you find it use a quality product (enzyme) made for cat urine. Most liquid household products will make getting the odor out more difficult.

Bookmark   September 8, 2009 at 8:30PM
izzie

Cats usually will go for corners. I had a confused peeing cat, RIP, stupid but lovable cat. Anything that resembled a box he wanted to pee in. Laundry basket, lid to board game etc. He always found something that looked like a box. Check box like things and also cabinets/ side tables that it could crawl into.

Bookmark   September 9, 2009 at 7:26AM
More Discussions
Help with death on my dog
perianal fistula disease. Does anyone have experience...
ronminsouthga
My cat has an unknown illness! Help!!!!
Hi There I have a 14 and a half year old male cat Sylvester...
rachelmfi
Constipated Kitty (Warning - LONG)
Hi All - I haven't been on the forum in quite awhile,...
manda3183
Excellent Animal Hospital in New England?
We are happy with our vet (actually vets, she has a...
sue36
My cat won't eat or drink
My cat Shonen stopped eating and drinking 3 weeks ago...
andrea_san_diego
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™