painting copper pipe?

pepperidge_farmMay 3, 2009

In our new bath, we installed a new radiator (runtal towel warmer) that has copper tube running to it from the back. It is just a few inches, but the pipe is not "pretty" and we would like to paint it.

I have purchased Krylon spray paint and primer that is meant for use on metal surfaces, but I am hesitant to apply it without knowing for sure that it will not cause damage to the copper tube!

Any info on this, recommendations, danger of damaging the pipe??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazypup

There is no danger of damaging the pipe or fittings however I would offer one bit of caution. There is no doubt a minor film of soldering flux on the pipe and fittings at the solder joints. While your paint will adhere fine to the copper, it may not adhere to the areas where the flux film remains. Before you begin painting scrub the pipe and fittings about 1" on either side of the solder joint with a good detergent.

A little bit of laundry detergent mixed in water and scrubbed on with an old tooth brush will work fine. Wipe dry with a clean cloth or paper towels then let it air dry overnight before you begin painting.

Bookmark   May 3, 2009 at 10:10AM
pepperidge_farm

Thanks lazypup- I figure that the flux residual is likely doing more harm anyway!!

I have NO intention of taking it off and needing to rework that pipe anyway, but I suppose that emery paper would get the paint off it needed in the future ;-)

Appreciate the reassurance and tips!

Bookmark   May 3, 2009 at 2:07PM
lazypup

I have made repairs on many copper pipes that have been painted. Hit the paint a moment with the torch then emery and voila, your ready to solder again. No worries!

Bookmark   May 3, 2009 at 2:16PM
brickeyee

"Before you begin painting scrub the pipe and fittings about 1" on either side of the solder joint with a good detergent."

I would scrub any place you want to paint.

Even oil and grease from hands can cause problems for paint adhering to metal surfaces.

They need to be very clean for a long lasting paint job.

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 9:22AM
More Discussions
toilet flapper closes too fast
a 5 y.o. AS 4396 w/Fluidmaster guts. The flapper is...
fritzgarden
Garden Hose iced over
Ok, I know I was stupid. I'm new to home ownership...
Cassandra
Help with smelly well water
Just a little background. We bought a house 3 years...
cmonkey
Fire Sprinkler
Purchasing a home with an indoor fire sprinkler system....
jglo
corrosion seen on hot water shutoff valves
I was repairing a minor leak in the kitchen faucet...
jastrong5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™