HW heater question

gardenwayMay 22, 2012

Above the HW heater is a fat cylinder, a pipe from this cylinder goes directly into the heater. Also from this cylinder is a pipe(s) with red knob that goes directly into the wall. Can someone please tell me what this cylinder is for.

There is also separate pipe that comes directly from the HW heater and then into the wall

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Picture available?

    Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 4:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

My first guess that the "fat cylinder" you are referencing is what is called an expansion tank.

The purpose of this small tank is used to protect closed water heating systems and domestic hot water systems from excessive pressure.

    Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 10:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo


There are stickers on it but are upside down - impossible for me to read, but think one word I saw was thermal.

My heating and a/c is a heat pump (a first for me).

I'm inclined now to think it is an expansion tank.

Thanks much for your response and info.

    Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 11:29PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Pulldown sprayer leaking
My Moen pulldown faucet (with Reflex Technology!) was...
38 ga. tank - not getting 2 hot showers?
We have just finished a renovation project that included...
Culligan HE vs Kinetico Premier vs Fleck
Hi, After doing some research regarding the above water...
corrosion seen on hot water shutoff valves
I was repairing a minor leak in the kitchen faucet...
Toilet swirls, but won't flush!!
Very frustrated. The toilet seems to be ok, it gets...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™