excessive stink from stink pipe!

joannemMay 1, 2006

Upon completion of our addition, there has been an excessive amount of odor from the stink pipe. The plumber came and agreed that the amount of odor is well above normal. He has no reasoning behind it and has since stopped returning our calls...Has anyone ever had this issue? We are concerned that maybe there was some damage to the septic system during construction. I think I need to have some one out to inspect the situation. Until then, I just want to better arm myself for what I believe may be a fight with our plumber.

Any advise is greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pinocchio

Let me think.

How does one get " excessive stink from the stink pipe?" I guess it is a matter of degree. There is a substantial difference between the constructions  beyond the house  of a septic system and a municipal drain.

First, think of a municipal type, where a system of low running sewage pipes traverse a district, creating a virtually cesspool. Into this system, all building drains are poured via gravity. And the building sewer and the drain lines to it are completely ventilated to the atmosphere  open on both ends.

This line receives sewage from trapped water fixtures, making it a Âone-way street. But there is a certain amount of Âair (which is the whole amount of gases in the open atmosphere) which Ârespires. Like animal respiration, air moves in both directions in a sewer vent.

The ordinary vented line will not produce enough malodorous gas to detect in most cases. Even when a person works near a roof vent, the gases are low-grade and intermittent.

But you donÂt have that. It follows that the vent is providing a direct output of gases produced by the septic process. And whether in a municipal or private system, it indicates that the sewage is not flowing into the proper receptor, but staying close-in.

If you also have problems with flow rate, it would indicate possible structural problems, which might mean repair. As a first step, a standard drain-cleaning is a fairly affordable expense.

Pinoke

Bookmark   May 1, 2006 at 11:02AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jake2007

Please use a BS meter to get an exact measurement of the excessive odor.

Anything over 1.65 millirems of stink per cubic bushel of normalized air (mR/Bna^3) is considered excessive. Just as a point of reference, a typical White Castle fart clocks in 2.5 mR/Bna^3 while my breath, in the morning, will top 3.0 mR/Bna^3.

On the other hand, the postings (now deleted) that offer a device that can remove the smells and reduce global warming were registering 9.5 mR/Bna^3 on the BS meter.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   September 4, 2007 at 4:21PM
More Discussions
Central Valley Water Filtration Suggestions
We are stationed in Lemoore, CA 45 minutes south of...
nomar116
PEX... Is a manifold necessary?
Getting ready to build a house and currently talking...
rmverb
Kitchen sink faucet lost its water pressure
I did some preventative maintenance this evening by...
yam2006
Fleck Drain Question
I am fixing to install a Fleck 9100. I can run a drain...
rss1978
Electric Water Heater Problem
I have an electric water heater; about a month ago...
aeharris63
Sponsored Products
Beautyrest 3-inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper with Waterproof Cover
Overstock.com
Moda Chrome Two-Light 14-Inch Pendant with Swarovski Strass Sapphire Blue Crysta
Bellacor
Indoor/ Outdoor Fiesta Chocolate Damask Rug (2' x 6')
Overstock.com
Design House 37W x 22D in. Aurora Cultured Marble Single Sink Vanity Top Multico
$339.99 | Hayneedle
Zuo Modern Pinery Dining Table in Beige
Beyond Stores
Moda Square Lace Chrome Nine-Light 22-Inch Pendant with Swarovski Strass Bordeau
Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™