Q for pros regarding testing

booksatMay 2, 2013

We just had a bathroom remodel on the second floor that included adding a shower stall. Unfortunately after we started using the shower there was a leak through the first floor ceiling.
Testing indicates that the issue is most likely at the elbow that connects the the pipe from the control unit to the pipe that runs to the showerhead.
My question is, shouldn't this have been tested before the wall was closed and tiled?
The plumber tested the system under pressure but did not test the complete system by running the water from the shower head and the hand held. He says that they don't test those parts as those pieces are straightforward and virtually never leak.

Is testing all components before closing the wall standard?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

Larger jobs might get a pressure test.

Since fixtures are not usualy installed at that point, some parts are not tested.

Many of the supply lines will have soldered caps on a stub.

They are cut off after the test.

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 2:04PM
homebound

Unless they inspected the elbow from behind, I would have thought the "most likely" was where your shower arm is screwed into the fitting in the wall (drop elbow). If so, that's easy. Unscrew it, wrap threads with teflon tape, and screw it back in.

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 8:58PM
booksat

thanks.
brickeye, yes, i think that the supply lines are capped during the rough in and are pressure tested, but the riser from the control to the shower head pipe and the pipe for the showerhead are in place before the wall gets closed and tiled. so, while the wall is open, shouldn't they run water through the showerhead pipe to make sure that the system is working correctly and leak free?

homebound, the elbow is behind the wall. a pipe runs out the wall form the elbow in order to support a rather large rainhead.
if that makes sense?

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 9:37PM
brickeyee

"while the wall is open, shouldn't they run water through the shower head pipe to make sure that the system is working correctly and leak free? "

Put it in the contract be prepared to pay.

The shower trim kit is not inhaled yet (handle, decorative plate, shower head (it creates the back pressure that would cause a leak).

I only do a few hundred sweat joints a year and cannot recall a leak.

The full time guys I hire for larger jobs do thousands of joints a year, without a leak.

Some of the older guys would probably consider jumping off a bridge if they had a leak.

This post was edited by brickeyee on Mon, May 6, 13 at 15:03

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 11:37AM
More Discussions
Quality of what general contactor is providing
I don't feel qualified to inspect my new home currently...
Larry Lotter
Central Valley Water Filtration Suggestions
We are stationed in Lemoore, CA 45 minutes south of...
nomar116
fleck fusion high flow metered water softener
Our Culligan has died and we aint too heartbroken about...
vossner
Kitchen sink faucet lost its water pressure
I did some preventative maintenance this evening by...
yam2006
Help, water filter?
I recently bought a rural home, and have yet to move...
dmnwlkr
Sponsored Products
Cassara Outdoor Coffee Table Cover
$49.50 | FRONTGATE
CH6-218Q 6" Horizontal CFL Downlight, 2 x 18W Quad, 120-277V
LBC Lighting
Eclipse Ella Blackout Window Curtain Panel - 12425052084BLK
$26.99 | Hayneedle
Hampton Chaise Cover
$99.50 | FRONTGATE
Brushed Nickel Single Handle Bathroom Faucet
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets