Pipe doesn't allow gas range to be installed flush against wall

SAK687May 10, 2014

Hi! I'm renovating a home and have a narrow galley kitchen. The standard 30 inch gas range arrived a few days ago and it does not stand flush against the wall because the gas pipe from the wall sticks out quite a bit. Can I do anything to have the range installed flush against the wall? The plumber has not arrived yet - would the range itself have a back panel which could perhaps be removed so that the pipe is ensconced inside the range? My apartment is in an NYC coop - I don't think they'll allow me to recess the pipe in the wall. Thanks for all your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Typically, there is nothing to remove in back. Usually the only solution is to have a qualified plumber or gas piping specialist either cut the pipe shorter and re-thread the end, or have him open up the wall so that the pipe that sticks out (probably a fairly short length that is screwed into an ell inside the wall) can be replaced with a somewhat shorter length.

    Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 4:33AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Take a picture of it and post. This could be an easy fix.

    Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 10:06AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

He may just need to bend the pipe, or cut it closer to the wall and install an extender, so that it goes into a natural gap on the back of the stove.

I think that's what our guy did when we renovated -our- narrow galley kitchen in our NYC co-op (in Queens).

    Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 4:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If the pipe is standard black iron, it can't be bent.

    Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 6:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Oh, also, regarding this:

My apartment is in an NYC coop - I don't think they'll allow me to recess the pipe in the wall.

The pipe *is* recessed in the wall--it comes out of the wall, usually--so they will have to let you move it. Also, the gas pipe is the building's until it hooks up to your stove. So it's their pipe being sunk into their wall.

My advice, just get your plumber to shift it around however he needs to for it to fit.
This is truly a case of "it's better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission." Just do it. The plumber will do it right, and safely--and the plumber's insurance should cover it.

I asked my FIL, a licensed plumber and a pipe fitter, about whether you needed a permit (from the city) to move a gas pipe. He said, "no, not if you're moving one that's already there." So if the city doesn't need a permit, then I'd just "assume" that your co-op board will be similarly OK with it. And just never mention it to them.

Truly, shifting the pipe is just not that difficult. I'm pretty sure it doesn't even need to have a "junction box" to access any new joints (electrical does, but not gas pipes, I don't think--ours have curves, etc., that are underneath the plaster).

In NYC, any licensed plumber can do this.

    Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 11:55PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Does reverse osmosis water corrode copper plumbing? The answer ..
The answer is YES. I did a very unscientific study...
Culligan vs. Kinetico for very hard water
We just moved into a 3 year old house. The previous...
shower problem....can someone give me a clue?
My hot water plumbing JUST started acting "wonky."...
the dreaded frozen pipes...
Hello all, I hope someone out there can help me. I...
Grohe Ladylux Cafe Touch Faucet
Does anyone have this faucet, and if so, do you like...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™