Stinky Smell From Bathroom Sink Drain--New Build

mydreamhomeApril 23, 2012

I am hoping someone can please help me come up with why this smell is occurring and how to remedy it. We have been in our brand new house 6 months. About 2-3 months ago, I noticed a stinky smell when I would turn the water on in my bathroom sink (not a sulfur/rotten egg smell). I tried filling the sink with water to see if it was the water that was smelling stinky, but it was not. Water is clean as a whistle in all sinks throughout the house, so that tells me it's the drain. I tried the vinegar/baking soda trick and it seemed to work for a while, but now the smell is back. I asked DH about the vent being the right height so as not to get backflow & he stated that he saw the placement of everything before they sheetrocked & it was done properly. He also says he can't smell it, but he usually has a sinus thing going on and I do have a very sensitive sniffer. The bottom line is I still have this smell (try keeping your Cheerios down while hovering over the sink to brush your teeth with that smell wafting up to you) that I really need to get rid of. There are 2 sinks in the vanity and my sink smells more than DH's, but I also use my sink more than he does. Primarily we use the sinks for face & hand washing & teeth brushing--no shaving in the sinks. Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bpchiil

My first thought would be a blocked vent.

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 11:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

Get one of the 'zip removers' from the big box store.

They are designed to remove hair from the drain.

Any number of the Chinese made pop-up drain sets do not have a method to remover the pop-up without taking the lever under the sink out that moves the pop-up.

Hair, especially longer hair, catches in the drain mechanism above the trap and then collects soap and other debris.

The small can also be from the overflow path built into bathroom sinks.
Debris in the path can start to smell.

Hot water with some Clorox, and possibly even a small long bottle brush can often clean the overflow.

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 8:44AM
More Discussions
Marble shower panels valve replacement :( !!!
We have a couple of bathrooms with a single handle...
Vamsi Kodavanty
fleck fusion high flow metered water softener
Our Culligan has died and we aint too heartbroken about...
vossner
Hot water backflowing into cold supply
OK, I'm rephrasing my question, as what I'd asked before...
pjb999
New Water Softener problem (Fleck 5000 ProFloSXT)
Hello, I recently moved into a home that uses well...
djt511
Terminox ISM for iron/manganese removal
Hi, I have had a water softener with other assorted...
merlin2552
Sponsored Products
Justice Design Group FAL-8922 - Modular 2 Light Bath Bar - Square Flared Shade -
$290.00 | Hayneedle
KOHLER Bathroom Pinoir 4 in. Lavatory Basin in Almond brown K-2028-4-47
Home Depot
Ameriwood 30-inch White Shaker Style Bath Vanity Cabinet
Overstock.com
Triple Milled 4-Bar Soap Set with Seahorse
$39.00 | FRONTGATE
43" Simone Brushed Stainless Steel Soaking Tub
Signature Hardware
Soho Tray - GREY
$29.00 | Horchow
Daliner Collection 10" Wide Satin Nickel LED Ceiling Light