spice into underground plastic

ionized_gwApril 29, 2013

I have a line that is used for surface water drainage that I want to tap into to add a catch basin. It is a 4" line. I will probably not put the catch basin into that line directly, but install a Y and put the catch basin at the end of 4-5 feet of added pipe.

The question is, how does one typically do this kind of splice? If I cut to the actual length of the Y to fit it in, I get no lap at the joints. Do I cut the existing pipe so that the Y fits partially lapping and fit it on that way or is there another way to make it work?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Fernco couplings.

    Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 9:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks, I looked and found underground-rated Fernco couplings right away. I've seen Ferncos, but I thought they were for indoor/above ground. If I do it correctly, I should only need one for this project.

    Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 10:08AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If you can find a Y you are good to go, I don't think you will find them in a big box store, go to a commercial supply house if they will sell retail to you.

    Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 3:15AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks, I was thinking more of:
solid 45 degree wye
solid bushing
straight Fernco

Shouldn't that work?

    Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 9:07PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Trying to verify gas pipe size
I am installing a new natural gas range and oven, and...
Hard Water or What?
We are renting an older duplex home in CT, and the...
Inspection Hell (or why not to DIY)
Hi everyone, First time poster but long time lurker....
Fire Sprinkler
Purchasing a home with an indoor fire sprinkler system....
the dreaded frozen pipes...
Hello all, I hope someone out there can help me. I...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™