Plumbers and all: help on convex to concave tub drain strainer

SparklingWaterApril 16, 2012

Hi. I could use your help on how to replace a new 3" strainer dome cover with a 3" concave, central screw tub drain cover. Does that make sense?

The problem is some water is remaining outside of the tub's drain in the tub when the drain is open. This is because of the dome design of the drain cover: the stainless rises up rather than is flat or inverted down. Weird. I don't truly know who made this cover as I personally wasn't involved with its selection.

We have hard water, a new tub finish, and I just want a 3" concave (or flat) tub drain cover with central screw to fit in whatever brand of drain pipe is below it to work. Not is always as simple as it seems, and I appreciate your help. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about, and I have seen this happen before.

Do you have a screw smack dab in the center of the drain cover? Without seeing pictures, and without seeing behind the tub, I'm going to "guess" and say it's a Gerber waste and over flow.

I'm also going to assume you have to lift a lever in order to stop up the water in the tub correct?

You can either change out the trip lever for a blank cover plate, and the drain can be changed out to a "lift and turn" style drain. All of this can be done from the front of the tub.

If you know the manufacture of the waste and over flow, you can contact them to see if they have different strainer style. If you have access behind the tub and it's's most likely a Gerber. But Gerber also make a plastic waste and over flow as well. However, if it's plastic, it could be a number of manufactures.

If it were me, I would replace the trip lever with a blank face plate, and install a lift and turn. Since the lift and turn's seem to gather hair much quicker, you can leave it out until you use it for tub applications, and purchase a $2.00 screen from your hardware store to collect the hair.

The hack way of doing things would be....concave the strainer yourself by pushing it in. It's very easy to do. : )

    Bookmark   April 17, 2012 at 8:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You are so kind to offer some help. I am attaching a picture of the water surrounding the opened drain. It never further drains.

Yes, a screw is smack dab in the center, and yes I have to lift a lever to activate the drain stop. It's an old tub, but a beauty in depth for soaking. Yes, there is a behind the tub access panel. I do think this is a brass assemble. I am trying to get the name of the manufacturer, and you have given me a great starting point. Nice tip too. :)

Thank you SO much.

Here is a link that might be useful:

    Bookmark   April 17, 2012 at 11:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The only thing I'm hesitant on is....if you have a Gerber waste and overflow. That's not the strainer cover I'm used to seeing with Gerber's unless they changed the look of them or it's a really old waste and over flow, or someone put on an odd ball strainer cover.

Regardless have some options to correct your problem.

    Bookmark   April 17, 2012 at 11:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks for looking and commenting Ozone. Options here are a step in the right direction.

    Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 10:34AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
toilet flapper closes too fast
a 5 y.o. AS 4396 w/Fluidmaster guts. The flapper is...
Fire Sprinkler
Purchasing a home with an indoor fire sprinkler system....
Septic tank and question on the "Sponge"
I have a septic tank that when last pumped out had...
Grohe Ladylux Cafe Touch Faucet
Does anyone have this faucet, and if so, do you like...
Does reverse osmosis water corrode copper plumbing? The answer ..
The answer is YES. I did a very unscientific study...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™