My dog ate wood from our fireplace...Need Help!

eagles20August 6, 2008

We recently cleaned out our fireplace and dumped the pile of ashes and burnt wood where we dump our grass clippings. My dog got loose outside and shortly after returning she was vomiting a black substance. Trying to go through and figure out everything she could have eaten I came up with the possibility that she ate the fireplace dumpings. She has thrown up 5 times so far each time with a black charcoal like substance? Anyone have any suggestions other than taking her to the vet? Could this harm her?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spiritual_gardner

Your dog could have poisoned herself and needs to see a vet a.s.a.p.

This much throwing up can cause all sorts of problems.

SG

Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 6:44AM
Elly_NJ

Suggestions other than taking her to the vet?

Get her to a vet asap, or reconcile yourself to her early demise.

Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 6:46AM
quasifish

I hope your dog is better this morning. If not, you would probably want to visit a vet, given that it sounds like she ate a lot of it. Wood ash is very alkali, which could be harsh on her digestive tract if she ate a lot. If she gulped it down in quantity, she may have gotten a larger piece that is stuck in her gut.

My old lab had a weak tummy and she LOVED to eat BBQ ash. We didn't allow it, but every so often she'd get into it and nibble a little down. Funny though, it never made her throw up. When she was young we use to get charcoal dog biscuits at a local pet store; for her weak tummy and bad breath and we always figured that was why she would try to get into the charcoal and ash- to sooth her tummy. If your dog is not normally one who eats "stuff" she shouldn't, then she may have some other digestive issues that are driving her to eat things like that.

Good luck.

Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 10:23AM
joepyeweed

Other than taking her to the vet...I'd probably CALL my vet at a minimum... to see what they would recommend.

Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 3:00PM
eagles20

Thank You for your kind and understanding post from quasifish! To all you other responses... If you would like to come over to my house at midnight and watch my kids so I can take the dog to the vet be my guest! Some times there are good reasons why you can not immediately take an animal to the vet. That's why I tried this forum to see if this ever happened to any other pets before. FYI elly nj... She is still alive today.

Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 5:03PM
Elly_NJ

What did the vet say?

Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 5:07PM
eagles20

Didn't even require a visit to the vet. By morning she had stopped vomiting, appetite returned and was never lethargic. They said to still cont. to monitor her for a little longer. This is a dog who also ate a whole box of tacks one time and surprisingly had no problems from that either.

Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 5:52PM
Elly_NJ

What did the vet do after he ate a whole box of tacks?

Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 8:18PM
eagles20

We had to wait/watch until they all came out and then hope there were no obstructions or punctures. It was a brand new box so I new exactly how many were consumed. I just had to count them when they came out. Amazing that nothing happened to her!

Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 9:34PM
msteele88_yahoo_com

My dog was trying to throw up and this morning I found her vomit and it looks like wood...and a treat I gave her. Was wondering if I should wait it out cuz I don't have money for surgery....it looked like after she vomit she was back to herself but at night she was feeling like she needed to throw up. Any suggestions?

Bookmark   April 9, 2011 at 1:22AM
More Discussions
How to get my new cat to stop fighting old/current cats
I posted a few weeks ago for advice on introducing...
phish_gw
My cat has an unknown illness! Help!!!!
Hi There I have a 14 and a half year old male cat Sylvester...
rachelmfi
Anyone had a problem with 'DreamBones' dog snack?
Has anyone had any problems with a dog snack called...
cas66ragtop
Renal Failure In Dogs -
Hi, I took my rescued Cocker Spaniel to the vet last...
lucymarie
Cat much less active than a few months ago
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has experienced what...
chi83
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™