My dog ate wood from our fireplace...Need Help!

eagles20August 6, 2008

We recently cleaned out our fireplace and dumped the pile of ashes and burnt wood where we dump our grass clippings. My dog got loose outside and shortly after returning she was vomiting a black substance. Trying to go through and figure out everything she could have eaten I came up with the possibility that she ate the fireplace dumpings. She has thrown up 5 times so far each time with a black charcoal like substance? Anyone have any suggestions other than taking her to the vet? Could this harm her?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Your dog could have poisoned herself and needs to see a vet a.s.a.p.

This much throwing up can cause all sorts of problems.


    Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 6:44AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Suggestions other than taking her to the vet?

Get her to a vet asap, or reconcile yourself to her early demise.

    Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 6:46AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I hope your dog is better this morning. If not, you would probably want to visit a vet, given that it sounds like she ate a lot of it. Wood ash is very alkali, which could be harsh on her digestive tract if she ate a lot. If she gulped it down in quantity, she may have gotten a larger piece that is stuck in her gut.

My old lab had a weak tummy and she LOVED to eat BBQ ash. We didn't allow it, but every so often she'd get into it and nibble a little down. Funny though, it never made her throw up. When she was young we use to get charcoal dog biscuits at a local pet store; for her weak tummy and bad breath and we always figured that was why she would try to get into the charcoal and ash- to sooth her tummy. If your dog is not normally one who eats "stuff" she shouldn't, then she may have some other digestive issues that are driving her to eat things like that.

Good luck.

    Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 10:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Other than taking her to the vet...I'd probably CALL my vet at a minimum... to see what they would recommend.

    Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 3:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thank You for your kind and understanding post from quasifish! To all you other responses... If you would like to come over to my house at midnight and watch my kids so I can take the dog to the vet be my guest! Some times there are good reasons why you can not immediately take an animal to the vet. That's why I tried this forum to see if this ever happened to any other pets before. FYI elly nj... She is still alive today.

    Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 5:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

What did the vet say?

    Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 5:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Didn't even require a visit to the vet. By morning she had stopped vomiting, appetite returned and was never lethargic. They said to still cont. to monitor her for a little longer. This is a dog who also ate a whole box of tacks one time and surprisingly had no problems from that either.

    Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 5:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

What did the vet do after he ate a whole box of tacks?

    Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 8:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

We had to wait/watch until they all came out and then hope there were no obstructions or punctures. It was a brand new box so I new exactly how many were consumed. I just had to count them when they came out. Amazing that nothing happened to her!

    Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 9:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

My dog was trying to throw up and this morning I found her vomit and it looks like wood...and a treat I gave her. Was wondering if I should wait it out cuz I don't have money for looked like after she vomit she was back to herself but at night she was feeling like she needed to throw up. Any suggestions?

    Bookmark   April 9, 2011 at 1:22AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
which dog should I get?!
I am confused on which breed of dog to get and I need...
Finally, no more poop eating.
After trying every product under the sun with no help...
Help with death on my dog
perianal fistula disease. Does anyone have experience...
How to convince my parents ?
How can I convince my parents into getting a small...
dry food for cats that can't eat dry food ;)
Howdy all, There seems to be a lot of experience here...
Sponsored Products
Brynmar Collection 27" High Outdoor Hanging Light
Lamps Plus
Carlota G FL Wall Sconce by Bover
$1,011.00 | Lumens
Hunter 11in. x 14in. Dark Taupe Tapered Drum Shade SH85114DTP
$12.97 | Home Depot
Besa Lighting | Sonya 20 Ceiling Light
$364.50 | YLighting
Senga Rhino Sculpture
Grandin Road
60x34" Granite Shower Base Black Stone - QUASAR SHADOW
Safavieh Hand-hooked Heriz Red/ Ivory Wool Rug (2'6 x 12')
Olivia 2 Piece King Bedroom Set in Black
$601.00 | LexMod
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™