Plumbing charge question...

petra_gwApril 21, 2011

We are doing a kitchen remodel and when the demo guys ripped out the cabinets, they pointed out the plumbing didn't look too good. So I called a plumber who replaced a couple of the pipes and rerouted another pipe to point up to fit the new sink. 2 plumbers showed up, but the second one just stood around and handed tools to the first.

All in all, they were here for 1.5 hours and charged $268 for technical labor. My husband thinks this is very excessive, so I thought I'd check with the plumbers who post on here. I don't want to say anything to the plumbing company unless that charge is way out of line. Thanks for any input!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. In my experience with plumbers, that is on the cheap side. Keep their phone number in case you need more work....

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 9:47PM
peteinsonj

That would be a bargain around here (NJ). I've found that 2 workers always show up when you hire any of the trades, one is the helper -- hand tools, carries things, sweeps up, etc.

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 11:44PM
petra_gw

The entire bill was $393, including materials. Okay, I'll tell hub we got a bargain, many thanks for the feedback. :o)

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 12:31PM
aidan_m

That's alot of materials. The labor sounds like a bargain, if they actually used $125 in pipe and fittings.

I got involved with a shower remodel where the plumbing company (the Big infamous "rooter" corporation) charged $6,000 to sweat in 2 shower valves. I provided the valves and everything except a handful of fittings. The plumber completed the job in 8 hours by himself, with out a helper. I paid about $350 for the parts I provided. The handful of fittings might have totalled $20. That plumbing company ripped off the customer.

You got a sweet deal.

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 1:41PM
petra_gw

They replaced 2 thin copper pipes with joints, each about 10 inches long, and about 10 inches of plastic pipe, and capped them off pending the sink hookup. They also left a hot water valve and a cold water valve for the new sink connection. There was some welding involved too. They also had to cut out a piece of drywall to access the plumbing. They are usually quite reasonable (we've called them before and hubby even tipped), so I would be surprised if some of the charge was bogus.

That shower incident sounds like quite a rip-off, I knew there was a reason we stay away from Roto R. :o)

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 5:02PM
ramona1976

Of the two plumbers that I usually use, one charges $91.50/hour and the other charges $100/hour for the journeyman. Neither one charges for the apprentice. I'm in a very competitive marketplace (west), where I can usually have a plumber on site within 2 hours. Your market conditions may differ.

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 5:53PM
More Discussions
Rainfresh water filter leaks from top.
I have a Rainfresh water filter. It seems to be leaking...
gtrshop
Culligan HE vs Kinetico Premier vs Fleck
Hi, After doing some research regarding the above water...
blessedmomof4
Pulldown sprayer leaking
My Moen pulldown faucet (with Reflex Technology!) was...
ginny20
LaToscana Novello Thermostatic Shower Valve
Trouble with LaToscana Novello Shower Valve- no hot...
bathroomblues1
the dreaded frozen pipes...
Hello all, I hope someone out there can help me. I...
kineala
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™