Sharp Drawer MW=steam damage to cabinet?

socalsisterMarch 21, 2013

I am considering a drawer microwave, but I've read online that the newest Sharp drawer microwaves were redesigned to have hidden vent louvers (behind the face of the door). The door blocks any steam so it is directed toward the adjacent cabinet doors which, over time, damages the cabinetry. The poster was a designer who said her client contacted Sharp engineers, but the issue was left unresolved.

I will have painted cabinetry so the steam is a huge issue. I don't want the older model since the newer model (without the vents) has a deeper drawer interior.

Do you have a newer model of the microwave (the one WITHOUT the vents on the door), and if so, have you noticed any issue with steam?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
realism

I wonder how much steam actually is released. With the things I microwave there usually isnt a ton of steam. I would figure most steam would stay in the drawer and be released when the drawer opens. Wipe down and wet surfaces after you finish with the microwave and you'll be fine.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 2:15PM
socalsister

Thanks for your reply realism. The designer mentioned that her client microwaves frozen food about 7 min at a time (a frozen dinner?) frequently and the adjacent cabinet was being hit by steam regularly. I tend to reheat large dishes (hence my desire for a large m/w) so the time would be similar. I could wipe it down at the end, but it is the heat/steam that would be hitting the cabinet during reheating that worries me...

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 5:26PM
boops2012

Uhoh. I have an older model not in place yet. I hadn't heard of this issue and will check where my vents are. Just checked mine in the garage mine has the vents on the front so shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the heads up.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 5:38PM
breezygirl

I've had the newer 24" Insight Pro model for 16 months. My cabs haven't sustained any damage, and I do not ever see steam released anywhere. We do not, however, eat MW meals. I reheat leftovers, defrost an occasional english muffin, and melt butter in mine. I've never heard any issue about steam from a MWD damaging cabs, and I've been here quite a while. Many, many of us here own them.

Oops! Need to put my Meyer lemon curd away.

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 12:57PM
More Discussions
School me on galley kitchen layout!
So I've tried to start learning from the experts here...
red_argyle
Please help me decide on kitchen wall cab elevations
We have a 10 foot sloped ceiling (10 feet where the...
veroni2413
IKEA Spring Sale 2015 begins 2/27
I spent a (long, long) day at IKEA on Saturday ordering...
tracie.erin
Crack in new quartzite countertop
I spent $12,500 having these new quartzite countertops...
dregw
Kitchen window or no?
We are planning our new home. I am a difficult time...
kymberie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™