Cat litter.

mudlady_gwAugust 22, 2009

I keep searching for the best odor control litter, but when I check out suggestions I find the price a problem. I use Arm and Hammer and I look for sales and boxes with "extra free" pounds. I can find it from around $0.39 to $0.45 in the larger sizes and when I get a good price I buy several boxes. What do the rest of you consider an acceptable price? I have three cats and keep two boxes.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
biwako_of_abi

I have trained our two cats to use one of those nesting-type cat pans. The top is a plastic mesh strong enough to hold the cat's weight, and the bottom is a container of the same plastic. Urine falls down through and solid stuff stays on top, where I can pick it up and flush it down the toilet. I do not use the liners sold by the company.

It took weeks of gradually decreasing the amount of litter (Feline Pine-like sawdust pellets) to fool the cats into doing without any litter at all, and things were very messy, as I had to scrub out the sawdust that caught in the mesh, but now I don't use any litter at all and am saving money and it's easy to clean out the pan, sterilize it with Chlorox, and so on. (After using Chlorox, I neutralize it, first rinsing with water, and then with a bit of a vinegar and water mix.)

I'm sure the cats would prefer to go back to the pellets, but they do use the new arrangement without "making mistakes," and things smell as good as they did with the pellets.

I keep the pan near the toilet, so it is easy to empty and rinse out.

Bookmark   August 24, 2009 at 1:56AM
More Discussions
which dog should I get?!
I am confused on which breed of dog to get and I need...
adi003
What cute/funny things do your cats do?
I have one cat who fetches and will bring me toys asking...
violetwest
ACL tear in dog's knee
Hi everyone, Our dog Maggie was just diagnosed with...
Pinky920
Need recommendation for an easy grip leash
I've seen several when google searching the subject,...
arkansas_girl
Am I confusing my cat?
I've had My Manx for 3 years this summer. He was an...
craftylady
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™