Help! Swollen Cat Lip Again!

californiangardenerAugust 23, 2010

Hello,

Back in May my kitty developed a swollen lip. He was given a steroid shot and I switched his food, and the lip went down and he was perfectly fine.

Unfortunately, the swollen lip has returned! It has not swelled up as big as last time, but it is definitely beginning to swell again. What should I do? I don't want to give him another steroid shot just because I know it really isn't good for his body.

Should I try switching his food? Right now he's getting Wellness canned mixed with regular Wellness dry. But maybe I should switch to Wellness Core dry?

Also, I've been doing a lot of home re-decorating lately - buying new furniture, installing shelves etc. I think that's partially stressing him out. I've been trying to keep him calmer by giving him a little Pet Rescue Remedy, but not sure if that will help with his swollen lip.

Any thoughts / opinions that don't involve steroids welcome!

And of course if it gets really bad I will take him to the vet, but I don't think he's there yet. It's just a bit of swelling, but behaviorially he is acting relatively normal.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
olyagrove

Could also be materials you are using while remodeling that cause this allergic reaction?
Another common factors, which you probably by now have eliminated - plastic food dishes and fleas

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 8:15AM
carmen_grower_2007

Possibly a spider bite -- wait and see if it goes down on its own since it doesn't seem to be bothering him.

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 8:35AM
olyagrove

Although a spider bite is possible, I believe the OP is referring to Eosinophilic Granuloma, since the cat has been to the vet before and given steroid to reduce the inflammation

I recently saw a cat who developed abnormally large swollen upper lip, as a result of a severe flea allergy. 3 shots of steroids in two week intervals helped get it under control, and so did flea treatment.

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 11:03AM
More Discussions
Renal Failure In Dogs -
Hi, I took my rescued Cocker Spaniel to the vet last...
lucymarie
cat with renal failure
My 17 yo cat has renal failure and has developed abdominal...
dlana
Smelly dog ears
I am not used to having a long floppy eared dog (Dachshund)....
lily316
My cat has an unknown illness! Help!!!!
Hi There I have a 14 and a half year old male cat Sylvester...
rachelmfi
Dog training human.....
I am an intermittent dog trainer. I worked hard at...
agmss15
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™