expired cheese

cloudy_christineDecember 31, 2010

So if a sealed packet of fresh goat cheese from France expired three months ago, do I need to throw it out? Or is this just more of the nanny state stuff that protects us from real Reblochon and real Camembert?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Cheese is spoiled already....unless it's got red mold it's just more of what it was....

Bookmark   December 31, 2010 at 4:34PM
readinglady

With a fresh French cheese I would be inclined to hew to the recommended date. That date is mandated by French law; it's not an "American thing." When it comes to soft cheeses I trust the French.

American Cheddar is a whole other story.

Carol

Bookmark   December 31, 2010 at 5:19PM
pkramer60

I had a package of Silver Goat chevre cheese that got "lost" in the basement fridge. Nine months past the date and the stuff was phenomanal. Aged a bit more than others so it was stronger but WOW!

Bookmark   December 31, 2010 at 5:33PM
cloudy_christine

Carol, I agree about trusting the French on cheese. But since the label is in English, it was made for export, and I was thinking the date may be set to comply with American requirements. On the other hand, fresh goat cheese should be quite fresh.
So I guess the question is, how much of a preserver is that kind of package? If it tastes fine, is it safe?

Bookmark   December 31, 2010 at 5:36PM
lindac

No.....that date is to taste like a mild whatever it is...
And there is a law that prohibits importing cheese made from unpasteurized milk which is younger than a certain age....Aging of cheese increases the acidity and makes it even safer.
the difference, mainly, between fresh cheese and aged cheese is time....and moisture content. Cheddar starts out as fresh cheese curds....Blue cheese as cottage cheese...without the added cream, and swiss starts as cheese curds before it's cooked.
I don't believe cheese in France "expires"...it is the custom in French homes not to refrigerate cheeses....they sit out under a dome until consumed...getting stronger and more well aged daily.
Your cheese is perfectly safe to eat.....it might not have that fresh milk taste,,,it may taste more well aged....but really REALLY...unless it's got red mold, it's safe.
Linda C

Bookmark   December 31, 2010 at 5:48PM
cloudy_christine

Thank you. I will report back.
Peppi, I'm glad to hear that you braved it successfully. I have a very nice Sauvignon Blanc and I would like to have some of this among the other cheeses.

Bookmark   December 31, 2010 at 5:58PM
Islay_Corbel

Goat's cheese eaten here would more often than not be made with raw milk so would have been mouldy and inedible long ago. If you aren't allowed raw milk cheese from France, there's a good chance that it's been pasturised to within an inch of it's life so well may be fine. look at it and smell it.
As an aside, we do keep cheese in the fridge - even the french have noses hahaha!

Bookmark   January 1, 2011 at 4:39AM
laceyvail

The other day I heard Jacques Pepin say on the radio that every 6 months his wife goes through all the cheese in the fridge, cuts off the moldy bits, mixes what's left with garlic and white wine and heats it all until it melts. Then they eat it on toast. Sounded great to me.

Bookmark   January 1, 2011 at 5:49AM
lindac

Raw milk cheese doesn't mold faster then cheese made from pasteurized milk.
I believe the goat cheese Cloudy has is that which comes in a cryovac tube. And since it's a short aged cheese, likely pasteurized.
Our laws say that a cheese made from raw milk can't come into this country unless it has been aged a minimum amount of time. I believe that time is 60 days.
I have some French Brie in my refrigerator, but it's not nearly as good as a good domestic brie, because it's made from pasteurized milk. Brie has a short shelf life and by the time it can enter this country, it's nearing "over ripe". I had a "forgotten" brie once...it had gotten buried in the back of the walk in refrigerator. When I poked it with a knife, it squirted! Pee...ewe!!

Bookmark   January 1, 2011 at 10:26AM
cloudy_christine

Sorry I forgot to report back abouot the cheese. It wasn't good. It had become more liquid aznd unpleasantly sour. I had only a tiny taste and then threw it out.
So why do I let a nice cheese go bad? I think it might be because I'm the only one who eats goat cheese, so I don't open it until I think I'll eat it all pretty quickly. So by trying to keep some of it from being wasted, I end up forgetting it until all of it is wasted!

Bookmark   January 4, 2011 at 8:53AM
lindac

It had aged inside the cryovac....and not in a good way!! Like my brie that squirted.

And just so the spammer doesn't pass on bad information...green mold is good! Red mold is bad!!
And as for blue cheese....the mold grows after it is "sealed up"....and exposure to the air greatly increases the mold growth.

Bookmark   January 4, 2011 at 10:35AM
papanda

"When in doubt, throw it out."

Bookmark   January 4, 2011 at 2:29PM
grainlady_ks

No comment, but an interesting web site that might come in handy on another occasion when we wonder about an "expired" item. -Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Still Tasty

Bookmark   January 4, 2011 at 2:45PM
readinglady

I am sorry the cheese was so disappointing. I can't count the number of times when I've cleaned out the fridge only to discover some long-expired morsel I wish I'd consumed on time.

Carol

Bookmark   January 4, 2011 at 3:39PM
More Discussions
I still love cooking....
I still love cooking and sorry to have been MIA for...
wizardnm
I Thought about Grainlady and others today....
I made a loaf of bread and had all the ingredients...
carol_in_california
My lastest kitchen purchase
Some of you may remember me talking about our local...
annie1992
My new pantry with pictures
OK, it's nearly done. We still need to replace some...
annie1992
Browned Butter Brownies
I tried this browned butter brownie recipe from Epicurious...
bbstx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™