Can I freeze gingerbread men?

heidihoDecember 7, 2007

Grandkids want to come over next Sat. to bake & decorate gingerbread men but don't want to eat them until X'mas. Can I do this? Do I wrap them individually or just put them all in a bag/bowl to freeze?

Never did this before so I appreciate any kind of suggestions.

Thanks for your time and have a nice evening.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shambo

My mother-in-law sends us gingerbread men every Christmas. Her recipe produces a soft, dense cookie. They're delicious & rich, so I can only eat one over the course of three or four days. I freeze the extras, and then bring them out later in the winter when we're dying for a special treat. She wraps them individually in plastic wrap and small freezer bags. I've never had a problem with freezing ruining their taste or texture.

Bookmark   December 7, 2007 at 4:16PM
kathleen_li

Shambo, they sound wonderful...Do you have the recipe?

Bookmark   December 7, 2007 at 11:37PM
shambo

As a matter of fact, I do. She copied it for me several years ago. It must have come from one of the old Betty Crocker cookbooks. Directions for the gingerbread men follow the basic cookie recipe. She usually just uses raisins & cashew halves for decorations.

Gingies -- Key Recipe (Soft & puffy...true old-fashioned ginger cookies

Mix thoroughly:
1/3 cup soft shortening
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1-1/2 cups dark molasses

Stir in:
1/3 cup cold water

Sift together and stir in:
6 cups sifted Gold Medal Flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. cinnamon

Temperature: 350 degrees
Time: Bake about 15 min.
Amount: 2-2/3 doz. fat, puffy 2-1/2 inch cookies

Directions:
Chill dough. Roll out very thick (1/2 inch). Cut with 2-1/2 inch round cutter. Place far apart on lightly greased baking sheet. Bake until, when touched lightly with finger, no imprint remains.

GINGERBREAD BOYS

Follow key recipe above, except mix in 1 more cup sifted Gold Medal Flour. Chill dough. Roll out very thick (1/2 inch). Grease a cardboard gingerbread boy pattern, place on the dough, and cut around it with a sharp knife. Or use a gingerbread boy cuter. With a pancake turner, carefully transfer gingerbread boys to lightly greased baking sheet. Press raisins into dough for eyes, nose, & mouth. (Candied cherries, gumdrops, nuts, etc. can also be used.) Bake. Cool slightly, then carefully remove from baking sheet. Decorating icing can be added.

Amount: About 12 gingerbread boys

Bookmark   December 8, 2007 at 4:16PM
More Discussions
Anyone remember Mike Roy?
I do NOT remember Mike Roy--he died when I was about...
Fori is not pleased
Need Recipe Help
Need Recipe Help Our church hosts a Lenten Luncheon...
blueheron
I still love cooking....
I still love cooking and sorry to have been MIA for...
wizardnm
It just dawned on me.....
that there's no Recipe Exchange forum anymore under...
Jasdip
Where is the canning forum now? :(
I'm not finding the canning forum. Can someone help...
gardnpondr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™