Replaces Flap still running water in the toilet

giyerApril 30, 2010

I replaced a worn out flapper but the water still runs after I flush.

i noticed that if i shut the water supply off the water stops running. The tank level is full and the water level does not go down

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
justalurker

Does the water overflow into the overflow tube when the water is running?

Bookmark   April 30, 2010 at 7:48PM
woodbutcher_ca

Hi, An interesting problem but I still think the solution is the hose to the over flow. It should not go down the pipe but secured above the top of the pipe or you will have siphon action. What makes it interesting is you shut off the water and it stops. I think it leaks untill the water level is below the hose in the overflow then it creates an air break and the leak stops.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Bookmark   May 1, 2010 at 7:34PM
lazypup

The trap primer line is tightly connected to the water fill valve and its only source of water is from inside the fill valve. It is a physical impossibility for the trap primer line to siphon water from the tank into the standpipe.

The post states that when the tank is full and he turns the supply valve off the flow stops and the tank stays full, so we can be certain that the flapper and complete flush valve assembly are ok.

The most logical cause of the problem is a defective fill valve which is allowing a small amount of water to seep by when it should be in the off position.

The cheapest solution would be to install a FluidMaster universal fill valve for about $10.

If it already has a fluidmaster fill valve then all you need to change is the diaphram, which can be found in any hardware for about $1.

Bookmark   May 1, 2010 at 7:50PM
woodbutcher_ca

Hello lazypup,
You may be right, but I still would attach the hose over the top of the overflow because it's easier. If that failed then I would try your solution.
I fixed a lot of problems that way and all valves I have installed come with a clip and instructions to attach the hose above the overflow. Seems to work.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Bookmark   May 2, 2010 at 4:07PM
More Discussions
Water pressue and other plumbing issues (MULTIPLE ISSUES - LONG)
I have a couple plumbing issues in my house. Some background... Approximately...
gtrshop
Am I the only one bothered by this?
Since Houzz took over, these forums have become a spam-infested...
aliceinwonderland_id
troubleshooting thermostatic valve for shower
troubleshooting thermostatic valve, no hot water and...
bathroomblues1
LaToscana Novello Thermostatic Shower Valve
Trouble with LaToscana Novello Shower Valve- no hot...
bathroomblues1
Trying to verify gas pipe size
I am installing a new natural gas range and oven, and...
hoolabob
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™