My Black Moor goldfish is turning golden

nick_b79August 2, 2007

I have had 3 goldfish, all 3" long counting their tails, in a 10-gallon aquarium along with a mini-algae eater for the past year. Everyone has been doing fine until the past 2 months, when I noticed my Black Moor was losing his black color along the belly. Not losing his scales, but the scales are changing color to gold. Currently his body is now mostly golden, with only black remaining along his upper half of the body, the fins and the eyes. The other two goldfish are a calico and a golden fantail, and neither one of these has shown any changes on their bodies. The mini algae eater is also doing well. Their food intake hasn't changed, and the water pH and nitrate levels are all normal. No one looks sick. Anyone know what's going on with my fish? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annzgw

If diet, water chemistry and temp are fine then it's probably just genetics. He's probably from a line that had more gold than normal and it's just now showing up.

Bookmark   August 2, 2007 at 11:08PM
deb18

I have a pond full of fancy goldfish, including three black moors. Goldfish start out black or brown and change colors later. This helps them hide while they're small enough to be eaten. I've had babies change colors while they are an inch or so long, and others that have taken three years to change.

Black moors usually keep their black color, but there are other colors of telescope-eyed fish and I suspect that's what you have. It probably just took him a while to change.

Bookmark   August 3, 2007 at 8:34AM
buyorsell888

it is normal for Black Moors to change to gold as they age. They do it at different rates but almost 100% do change.

Bookmark   August 5, 2007 at 2:42PM
scaryfairy1031_hotmail_com

My Black Moor is almost Gold maybe a 1/2 inch is black up top

Bookmark   September 23, 2011 at 4:32PM
More Discussions
Can we say G A S
And it's not me, dh or my two old dogs. It's the new...
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
Does anyone have a spayed dog that has a brownish discharge?
I came to this Forum to ask your opinions about something...
pickyshopper
How to get my new cat to stop fighting old/current cats
I posted a few weeks ago for advice on introducing...
phish_gw
Can I help a wild rabbit in my yard?
I live in Western NY state and I was shocked to see...
rochesterroseman
Dog throwing up yellow bile
Hi,what would be the most obvious reason for a dog...
debbiep_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™