Fixed one faucet leak - gained another. What am I missing?

hearthside_im_all_inApril 20, 2011

Hi folks,

I just replaced the cartridges in my Price Pfister 4-in bathroom faucet to fix a steady drip. The drip is gone, but now when the water is turned on it leaks around the base of the faucet. Do I need to remove the whole thing to replace the base plate/gasket, or is this related to the new cartridges?

Thanks for your help,

Emily

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tim45z10

It has been my experience the new base gaskets are easy to install slightly off kilter and leak. When I replace cartridges now I reuse the old base gasket and save the new just in case.

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 2:36AM
randy427

A little residue from the old gasket or hard water deposit is frequently the culprit. Taking extra care to ensure the mating surfaces are as clean as possible before installing the new gasket is well worth a couple of minutes effort.

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 10:00AM
hearthside_im_all_in

Thanks for the suggestions. I took the handles off again and tightened down the cartridges a bit more, which seems to have helped. Is it possible to overtighten them? It didn't take much to loosen the old ones, so I initially didn't do much more than a half-turn or so past finger-tight. I was able to do at least that when I went back again. The leak seems to have stopped, so I'm thinking I was probably just a ninny. Thanks again!

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 5:24PM
More Discussions
shower problem....can someone give me a clue?
My hot water plumbing JUST started acting "wonky."...
bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
38 ga. tank - not getting 2 hot showers?
We have just finished a renovation project that included...
ashebrook
Water Softener - calling justalurker
Hopefully you are still around. I had reached out a...
toddimt
corrosion seen on hot water shutoff valves
I was repairing a minor leak in the kitchen faucet...
jastrong5
Sewer line disaster
originally posted on another website, but in the spirit...
bossyvossy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™