Need bathtub filling faucet with decent gpm

pearlbegoniaApril 2, 2012

It seems that the wall mount faucets that I've looked at either have a gpm of not more than 2.5 or else they don't show a gpm at all. I would like a higher gpm in order to fill the tub before the water gets cold. Do the laundry/service faucets with no gpm listings have a higher flow rate? Will the faucets with 2.5 or lower flow rates have a higher rate if the aerators are removed? Any suggestions for a good wall mount tub filling faucet?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
asolo

Be advised that your problem may not be the faucet. More likely would be pipe diameter and pressure available upstream. If you don't have diameter and pressure upstream, no faucet will solve your problem.

Bookmark   April 2, 2012 at 10:26PM
brickeyee

"It seems that the wall mount faucets that I've looked at either have a gpm of not more than 2.5 or else they don't show a gpm at all. "

The feds decided a while ago how much water we shall use.

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 10:45AM
weedmeister

I didn't think tub faucets had that restriction. Just shower, bath sink, and kitchen sink.

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 4:33PM
Ozone89

No faucet (tub/shower/lav/kitchen) is allowed more than 2.5 gpm....it's the law.

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 1:09AM
jakethewonderdog

For sizing tankless water heaters, I use 4 gpm for a tub faucet and 2.5 gpm for a shower.

I know that shower heads are limited to 2.5 gpm - but I didn't think that tub faucets were (you are filling a tub... the amount of water used is a function of the tub size, not the gpm through the tub spout). In fact, there was just a thread by a poster who wanted to use a shower valve rated at 18 gpm.

I haven't purchased tub faucets in a while, OP, you should continue to do research - I don't think the tub GPM is limited.

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 9:30AM
live_wire_oak

You can find Roman tub faucets that will deliver up to 8 gpm. However a tub/shower faucet will have the restricted flow.

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 3:42PM
weedmeister

The last time I bought a tub/shower valve, the tub was unrestricted whereas the shower was restricted to 2.5gpm. That was 5yrs or so ago.

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 4:59PM
lazypup

The UPC (Unifom Plumbing Code) section 424.1.1 says;" Faucetts and supply fittings shall conform to the water conservation requirements of section 604.4"

Section 604.4 says fixtures shall be limited to the outputs listed on Table 604.4

Table 604.4 lists Lavatories in public restrooms & private restrooms (incudes residential service), Showers, hand held showers, kitchen sinks, urinals and water closets.

There is no listing for tubs on the chart.

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 5:36PM
More Discussions
corrosion seen on hot water shutoff valves
I was repairing a minor leak in the kitchen faucet...
jastrong5
the dreaded frozen pipes...
Hello all, I hope someone out there can help me. I...
kineala
38 ga. tank - not getting 2 hot showers?
We have just finished a renovation project that included...
ashebrook
Help with smelly well water
Just a little background. We bought a house 3 years...
cmonkey
Toilet swirls, but won't flush!!
Very frustrated. The toilet seems to be ok, it gets...
edweather
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™