Thoughts on Kohler for fixed shower plus handshower?

kmcgApril 3, 2012

I want to do an uncluttered installation of a fixed showerhead plus a handshower on a bar. I guess my choices are to have the handshower diverter in the showerhead arm, which seems like it could be awkward, or to have the hose for the handheld come out of a supply elbow in the wall. Assuming I do the latter, I'm puzzled by how many controls I need. I read over tons of threads, including a great one by mongoct, but still have questions (sorry!).

First, brand: I'm finding good prices on Kohler (Home Depot has a lot of Kohler on sale right now), and have always had positive impressions of the company. Does anyone here have positive or negative things to say about their valves and their mid-level shower components? Does anyone know whether the rumor is true that HD gets an inferior level of product from Kohler?

Now, the technical: Kohler's website says I can use a Rite-Temp Valve with Diverter (K11748-K-NA) to install either a shower plus tub or a shower plus handshower. But I'm having a hard time figuring out what trim goes with this if I don't do the tub. The trim kits I find have a push-button diverter control under the main pressure-balance valve control. (see link of an example below) Will that really work to control the handshower on/off by the push-button method? If not, what do I use? Would I then need a transfer valve control plus the pressure balance valve control?

Do you have suggestions for alternative products? Again, the goal is to use only one control/handle mechanism so I don't clutter up the wall with more stuff. For example, if I got a Hansgrohe thermobalance II valve, can I get by with just one control? I'd be happy with using either the shower or the handheld separately - don't need to use them at the same time - in case this makes any difference.

Thanks for your indulgence!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler shower trim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Infinity78

I'm sure that you can find a suitable Kohler product, as they're one of the biggest companies.

I have the Sustainable Solutions International F2040 which looks great and works amazing for me. I got it because it reduces water consumption. Most of their products work fine with only one valve but I'm afraid that my technical knowledge should be taken with a grain of salt as I don't use a handheld.

Depending on how much you're willing to spend, Graff also makes some really sexy luxury fixtures that would definitely up the "wow" factor of your bathroom.

Hope this helps at least a little! Hopefully someone else can better answer your technical questions..

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 1:19PM
Infinity78

oh and fyi, sustainable solutions sometimes gives out free showerheads on their fb page. my friend Ryan won one, so it's worth a shot if you're in the market

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 4:06PM
kmcg

Thanks, Infinity78. I will check those brands out!

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 11:24PM
More Discussions
toilet flapper closes too fast
a 5 y.o. AS 4396 w/Fluidmaster guts. The flapper is...
fritzgarden
Can we bypass old hot water heater?
Any reason we can't bypass and then remove this old...
shellking
corrosion seen on hot water shutoff valves
I was repairing a minor leak in the kitchen faucet...
jastrong5
Warm water mornings on cold line for 30 secs....
We have been living in a home built in 2011 (in Canada)...
nikolaos2012
LaToscana Novello Thermostatic Shower Valve
Trouble with LaToscana Novello Shower Valve- no hot...
bathroomblues1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™