Tub Filler Set & Shower Set on 1 wall????

EmmaKentuckyApril 1, 2011

I'm hoping someone has a much needed solution for me. In an 5' x 32" alcove end wall I am trying to place 2 separate systems, one a combined wall mount tub filler with attached handshower and at the top a shower system that contains separate water handles and a diverter handle. The diverter handle would normally divert the water flow to a traditional simple tub spout.

I am using a tub filler with a hand shower attached so that a sitting person could wash their hair or whatever without standing once in the tub. There is a handle on the tub filler that I could switch between the handshower and tub spout easily without assistance.

Is it possible to modify the plumbing inside the wall (wall is being retiled) so that the 2 separate system can work independently or we could use a simple levered diverter between the 2 systems so that people visiting me could easily take a shower?

I do understand that a simple lever on the outside wall may require work on the inside. But what type of work?

Any, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I must be really stressed about this!!! I so sincerely apologize for what is nearly a duplicate of yesterday's question.

    Bookmark   April 1, 2011 at 5:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I've seen a bathtub set up the way you want. It had a standard tub faucet down low to service the tub (and in your case you could add a hand shower diverter), and a second faucet set up high to service the shower head. The upper one wouldn't need a diverter, as it would feed straight to the shower head, just like in a shower-only stall. This should be fairly simple to plumb since the wall will be open anyway. The concerns I would have would be if your code authority would want you to use larger water pipes because there are two sets of fixtures. They might also, or instead, want a larger size drain. I wouldn't think these would be required, but, you jurisdiction/inspector might vary. An additional option for you on the lower filler would be to use a standard 3 handle valve set (middle being the diverter valve) and instead of sending the output to an upper shower it just go to a stubbed out pipe where you could attach the handshower.

    Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 9:34PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Plumbing Kohler Ceiling Tub Filler K-922
Anyone have experience installing this laminar flow...
Can i have a pan put under a water heater that is aleady installed?
I dont have a pan under my water heater and i fear...
troubleshooting thermostatic valve for shower
troubleshooting thermostatic valve, no hot water and...
Trying to verify gas pipe size
I am installing a new natural gas range and oven, and...
De-winterize, re-winterize...costs?
My 24 yr old son is buying a 1950 home on a short sale...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™