Trifexis for heartworm and flea control for dogs

norar_ilAugust 17, 2012

Does anyone have any experience with this pill? We recently got an American Bulldog from the county pound. Took him to the vet for a checkup and this is what he gave us. After looking on the web, it seems a lot of folks have had big problems with this making their dogs very sick. We're thinking of returning this pill and getting seperate flea and heartworm prevention treatment.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eahamel

I've heard that, too, and even saw some literature from the company at my vet's that said that. I use Iverhart (sp?) for heartworm, and Advantage or Certifect for fleas. If your AB is white, there may be flea allergy and skin problems, too, so keep an eye out for that.

Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 10:48PM
norar_il

Thanks for the information. DH just left to return the Trifexis. This big boy is too nice to take a chance with making him very sick. I didn't know about white and flea allergies -- that's important to know.

Bookmark   August 18, 2012 at 10:08AM
maxmom96

I've had my close to 17 year old PON on Triflexis for four months now. I admit I was scared to death to try it as he is on a special diet, has had skin problems, and all the other problems with seem to go with an aged dog. However it has caused no problems for him, and seems to work fine so far.

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 10:46AM
bluesbarby

Like any medication, some will have negative effects. Riley has been on TF for over 2 years without a problem. He's 6 now.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 6:30PM
More Discussions
Help with death on my dog
perianal fistula disease. Does anyone have experience...
ronminsouthga
how many of you like mice?
They are Ginny and scabbers.I don't have them now because...
adi003
cat needs ultrasound/has fluid
13 yr old indoor cat has had blood tests, xrays and...
jones60
Adopted a new dog :)
Last month I had to put down my sweet Charlee. She...
Linda's Garden z6 Utah
I'm new!
Hi every body ! My name adi i am going to buy a dog...
adi003
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™