Whole house Water softener size

BeepsisApril 5, 2013

After following many posts on this site regarding which type, size, etc of water softener to purchase, I thought I had finally made the decision for the Fleck 5600 sxt 25 grain capacity....
...then I saw a post that made it seem like the resin tank on the above system (.75) might be too small.
Here's the data I've based my needs on...

Well water tested at :
Lead neg
Bacteria neg
Nitrate/Nitrite less than 0.5
pH 7.5-8.5
Hardness 250ppm
No testig has been done on Iron, but surrounding wells test negligible

We are two ppl living in a two bath home. We have recently moved off a sailboat of 12 years and estimate our combined daily usage of maybe 100gals
I've figured that our needs would be met with the system as noted above.
We plan on using potassium vs sodium for health and environment reasons.
My question is...
Why would I need a larger Resin Tank than the one offered with this system?
(justalurker, I hope you're still out there!)
Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aliceinwonderland_id

A 0.75 cubic foot system will work just fine for you, even if your water use ends up being higher than the 100 gpd (gallons per day) you have estimated.

At 100 gpd water use and 15 gpg (grains per gallon) hardness, regenerated with 6 lb salt per cubic ft of resin, a 0.75 cubic ft softener will regen every 9 -10 days. If your water use ends up closer to 120 (60 gpd/person, which is typical), the softener will regen every 7 - 8 days.

The only reason you might wish to consider a larger softener is If you have any high-water-use fixtures, such as a multi-head shower or a jetted tub. The flow rate through those items would exceed the service flow rate for a 0.75 cubic ft softener, resulting in hard water.

Since you have a well, you really should have a thorough water test completed. If you contact a local water treatment plant or look on your state's website, you can find certified labs. Two wells, even in close proximity, can have water with very different analysis. Iron and manganese, in particular, will make a huge difference in softener size and regen salt dosage.

This post was edited by aliceinwonderland_id on Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 12:38

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 3:36PM
Beepsis

Thank you for that. I did the iron test from the attached link, and it was negligible, but I'll get the minerals checked out better, and if they're low, probably go with the 24'000 size. Thanks again.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=well%20water%20iron%20test&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CEYQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ehow.com%2Fhow_5403295_test-iron-water.html&ei=UNNiUcPuFMGi0AGulYGoCg&usg=AFQjCNGEM2A7fFOsrcJOoykgZRkSBkQDJQ&bvm=bv.44770516,d.dmQ

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 10:33AM
aliceinwonderland_id

The "test" site you linked is full of inaccurate information. However, it is correct that if your water develops color after sitting for a few hours dissolved iron is most likely present. You say it was negligible - can you define that a bit more? Did the color of your water change at all? If it did, you need an actual analytical iron test before proceeding.

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 11:06AM
More Discussions
Details of a new residential water service
I'm in the planning stages of replacement for my 55...
dgeist
Terminox ISM for iron/manganese removal
Hi, I have had a water softener with other assorted...
merlin2552
Hot water backflowing into cold supply
OK, I'm rephrasing my question, as what I'd asked before...
pjb999
Water softener decision for Austin, Texas city water
I want to better protect my plumbing from wear and...
ivaniphone
Under counter water filters…again
I've lurked here for over a year and have learned so...
motherwallace
Sponsored Products
Bronx Queen-size Bed
Overstock.com
Irwin Flatweave Rug 7'9" x 10'10" - BARN
$889.00 | Horchow
Multnomah Heirloom Bronze One-Light Mini Pendant
$69.00 | Bellacor
Design House Wall Mounted Jackson Wall Mount Outdoor Solid Antique Brass
$40.72 | Home Depot
Linger Giclee Lamp Shade 13.5x13.5x10 (Spider)
$69.99 | Lamps Plus
Mosaic Tile: Jeffrey Court Building Materials Brick Boulevard 11- 1/4 in. x 12
$16.97 | Home Depot
Savoy House Belmont Transitional Large Pendant
1800Lighting
Campania International Vintage Hayward Cast Stone Window Box Planter - P-625-AL
$514.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™