Got a quote to clear outdoor, in-ground drains. Is this right?

desertmarcApril 3, 2012

We have drains under a concrete patio that lead under ground through the yard and out to the street. Maybe 70 feet. Lots of trees and ivy along the way, so I'm sure the roots have invaded. The house in So. Cal. was built in the 1960's.

I was just quoted (over the phone) that it is a two man job, and the cost will be $150.00 per hour, and it could be a 3-4 hour job.

2-man job? $150.00 per hour? 3-4 hours? I feel all of these charges seem out of line. The company has good ratings on the BBB website, but the pricing, number of men and # of hours seem too high.

Am I wrong? I appreciate any feedback.

The company

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

That's not at all a high rate charge for getting a plumber to do this. If this is a landscape drain, not a home drain, call a landscape company. If this is a solid pipe, then it should not have any root penetrations unless the pipe itself is damaged. Roots don't force themselves through plastic. If this is a home drain that is damaged, then it should be replaced or lined, not band-aided with a clean out.

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 3:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aidan_m

When you say So. Cal. do you mean Palos Verdes, or North Edwards? (It makes a huge difference)

"2-man job? $150.00 per hour? 3-4 hours? I feel all of these charges seem out of line. The company has good ratings on the BBB website, but the pricing, number of men and # of hours seem too high."

You seem too high. What have you been toking down there?

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 4:15PM
More Discussions
Freezeless Hydrant Frozen??
Hi, I have freezeless hydrant that has never given...
den75
Good shower heads for low water pressure
Hi, We are living in an area with low water pressure....
lynne_melb
Toilet swirls, but won't flush!!
Very frustrated. The toilet seems to be ok, it gets...
edweather
Waste pipe uneven elbow leak
The gaskets are removed to show the situation in the...
rubyhum
Can we bypass old hot water heater?
Any reason we can't bypass and then remove this old...
shellking
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™