Watersense versus Tankless H2O heater

samanaApril 3, 2012

I was looking for faucet fixtures and came across a Moen review that said because of the 'WaterSense' criteria, their faucet doesn't draw enough water to activate their tankless heater! Has anyone else run into this? Would this be true for all WaterSense faucets? I assume that is some kind of government rating.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thull

I think it depends on the specific tankless heater. I believe the newer models from the higher-end brands have gotten more sensitive in terms of turning on at lower flows. I'm thinking Rinnai, Noritz, and Takagi as examples.

That said, the Watersense spec is for flow to be in the range of 0.8 gpm to 1.6 gpm. I think that should turn on any of the above.

We have an older Noritz, and IIRC it turns on somewhere around 0.8 gpm to 1.0 gpm.

It did require a little adjustment- for example, my wintertime shaving routine changed. Rather than try to trickle out hot water to rinse the razor while I shave, I close the drain and put a few inches of hot water in the basin. Then I just run the faucet full-open until I get hot water.

FWIW, if you're re-doing piping, it may make sense to go with smaller branches to each fixture instead of one big header with short, smaller risers. Will help somewhat with the time to get hot water. And I'm thinking about hard piping- PEX with it's manifolds and home runs is more amenable to this as a default.

Here is a link that might be useful: Watersense faucet specs

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 4:33PM
More Discussions
Culligan HE vs Kinetico Premier vs Fleck
Hi, After doing some research regarding the above water...
blessedmomof4
shower problem....can someone give me a clue?
My hot water plumbing JUST started acting "wonky."...
bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
Freezeless Hydrant Frozen??
Hi, I have freezeless hydrant that has never given...
den75
Am I the only one bothered by this?
Since Houzz took over, these forums have become a spam-infested...
aliceinwonderland_id
Yes or No to Easy Water (no-salt) water softener?
I started this thread to reply to Sam because the prior...
peoplelover
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™