Cut Out Cookies Made Easy(er)

TobyTDecember 7, 2011

I shared this tip last year, but I think it was after Christmas. It is literally the best baking tip I have ever found, so thought I would share again now that we are hot and heavy into the Christmas baking season. I think it came from the Cake Central website.

When you are making cut out cookies that require you to refrigerate the dough before rolling it out, roll the dough out between two pieces of parchment or wax paper before you put it in the fridge. The soft dough rolls much easier and never cracks. Once you have your sheets of dough rolled out, stack them on a cookie sheet and refrigerate until they are firmed up.

I took it one step further, and had my husband cut me strips of wood about 18" long, 1" wide and 1/4" thick. He also made me a set in 1/8" thickness. I lay these on either side of the dough and run the rolling pin over them, giving me perfectly consistent thickness.

Jane

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Olychick

Thank you for this!! I can't wait to try it.

Bookmark   December 7, 2011 at 3:33PM
diinohio

Two good tips.
I saw this tip on a tv show recently- place the dough on your cookie sheet then cut the shapes and pull the excess dough away. Then you won't mangle the cookies trying to transfer them to the cookie sheet (something I always manage to do).

Di

Bookmark   December 7, 2011 at 3:37PM
trudy_gw

Great tips Jane and Di.
Saw Martha Stewart (I know I know must of you dont like her at all, but she does have a few good tips, that I didnt know)
on the Early Show this morning and she used and Off Set Icing Spatula to pick up the cut out cookies.

Anytime someone shares a baking tip, I am a happy baker :)

Bookmark   December 7, 2011 at 4:29PM
nancylouise_gw

Hmmmm, I never thought of placing the dough on the cookie sheet before cutting the shapes. That's pretty interesting. I'll have to give it a try to see how it works, thanks for that tip Di. I've have been rolling out doughs and stacking them between parchment paper for some time now, thanks for refreshing the tip for newbies, Jane. Happy baking everyone! NancyLouise

Bookmark   December 7, 2011 at 4:40PM
jude31

Jane, you and your DH are ahead of your time. I just received an email from BH&G today offering the strips for sale. Put them on my wish list, in case I ever make cutout cookies again.:-)

jude

Bookmark   December 7, 2011 at 6:46PM
pfmastin

Here's another alternative that I like. I have to fend for myself. My husband isn't handy. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Silicone Rolling Pin Spacer Bands

Bookmark   December 7, 2011 at 7:08PM
More Discussions
The Monkey Princess makes pasta and pies
The Princess has Italian grandparents on Dave's side,...
annie1992
Cookout for 150 people
I am having a cookout for my son's graduation, and...
Teffanie Hughett West
Food for sore mouths..
I just had a tooth extracted - and I have a very sore...
agmss15
Silicone VS Metal
Good afternoon...I have been asked to make the cake...
jsvrn
What happened to my soup?
Made a homemade chicken soup....carrots, onion, celery,...
lookintomyeyes83
Sponsored Products
Hughes Leather Chaise - Brighton Parrot Red
Joybird Furniture
Chocolate Woven Blackout Tab Top Panel - Set of Two
$24.99 | zulily
Indoor Area Rug: Reflections Fall 5' 3" x 7' 6" Plush
Home Depot
Ornate Iron Surface Bolt with Ball Handle
Signature Hardware
Raw Turquoise 9-Inch Dark Sky Outdoor Wall Mount with Roadrunner Center Cutout D
$133.20 | Bellacor
Pleasant Hearth FA338S Harper 1-Panel Fireplace Screen with Doors - Antique Blac
$123.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™