Cleaning Ceramic Floor Tiles?

canuck_in_goalAugust 28, 2011

Howdy, we have moved down to Nicaragua from the USA. We have 2 cats and 1 dog! We have Ceramic Tiles throughout our house. Cleaning supplies here are a bit limited, seems everything has disinfectant in it, which I guess is good, but I don't imagine its good for my animals. Can any suggest a home made safe for animals recipe to clean the floors. We clean with a mop! I have bought 1 of those Shark Steam cleaners, but could be like another month or 2 before our home goods arrive here, so in the mean time, have to use the mop. Any recommendations would be super. Many Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calliope

I don't splurge often, but year ago fell in love with an very expensive tile made in Italy. The tile man who installed it recommended I damp mop my floors with vinegar.

Bookmark   August 28, 2011 at 7:17PM
canuck_in_goal

Many Thanks!! Did some research on Vinegar and many agree with you Calliope!! Many Thanks!!!!!!

Bookmark   August 28, 2011 at 7:23PM
quasifish

I also use vinegar on my tile regularly. If you end up with stains- my old dog use to have accidents from time to time, which stained our ceramic, scrubbing with baking soda and sometimes a little bleach if necessary seems to work.

My SIL swears by just mopping with plain old hot water, the hottest she can get out of the tap. She claims that's all she needs for her ceramic tile.

My tile and grout are really grubby right now and need a thorough cleaning soon. I've discovered that a strong dish soap solution and a very stiff plastic bristle brush work much better than a lot of the chemical-heavy, expensive "easy" cleaning products.

Bookmark   August 29, 2011 at 11:29AM
canuck_in_goal

Thank you.

Bookmark   August 29, 2011 at 1:44PM
Meghane

Bissell Steam Mop. I don't use any chemicals and my tile (and sealed wood) floors clean up beautifully. I still have to clean the grout once in a while (I have 6 dogs and my back yard is just a mud hole- no grass at all) with a scrub brush but I think that's because I've never gotten around to sealing the grout.

Bookmark   August 31, 2011 at 9:01PM
canuck_in_goal

We have the Shark steam mop coming with our good---we moved from the USA to Nicaragua. Now juts have to get my maid to use it when it arrives,lol

Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 2:40PM
More Discussions
Spray to deter cat scratching woodwork
Does the spray work? I almost bought a bottle at PetCo...
schoolhouse_gw
Cat with awful breath
I adopted a cat a few months back, she's 7 years old....
Else
My dog will not eat or drink, throwing up bile. Help!
Hi, I was hoping somebody could offer some advice with...
joe313
how many of you like mice?
They are Ginny and scabbers.I don't have them now because...
adi003
Help with death on my dog
perianal fistula disease. Does anyone have experience...
ronminsouthga
Sponsored Products
Maize Summerton Runner
$49.99 | zulily
Voluspa Gardenia Colonia Maison Candle
$29.50 | FRONTGATE
Arlington Silver Eight-Light Clear Heritage Handcut Crystal Chandelier, 28W x 35
Bellacor
Pre-owned 1950s Paul McCobb Chair
$329.00 | Chairish
Crossing Diamond Runner 2'6" x 8' - CHOCOLATE
$229.00 | Horchow
Traditional Tiffany Style Large Flower Stained Glass Shade Floor Lamp
ParrotUncle
Signature Velvet Espresso Fabric by the Yard
Ballard Designs
Tall Lacquer 36-inch Bamboo Vase and Branches
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™