Anyone had a problem with 'DreamBones' dog snack?
Has anyone had any problems with a dog snack called "DreamBones"? I bought them at Martin's Grocery Store (a.k.a. Giant). They are supposedly a healthier alternative to rawhide. They are supposed to be 99% digestable, and instead of being made of rawhide, they are made out of plants (mainly kelp), and had a chicken filling.
I gave this to my 3 yr old dog who is strong as an ox, and has never had any medical issues - and within 30 minutes of consuming it, he went into a seizure. It scared the crap out of me, I thought he was dying right in front of me, and there was nothing I could do to stop it.
Then about 10-15 minutes after the seizure, he was back to normal. He went outside and had a normal bowel movement, and dinner later in the evening and had another normal bowel movement, so that told me he didn't have a blockage. I can only assume there was something in the ingredients that he had a severe allergic reaction to.
I checked all the ingredients, and there wasn't anything out of the ordinary that would have been harmful - the ONLY thing I saw that he is not normally accustomed to was kelp and chlorophyl. I looked all over the internet to see if DreamBones had any complaints, recalls or lawsuits, and found nothing.
I know seizures can also be caused by epilepsy, brain tumors, tick bites, and other toxins. I just found it highly coincidental that this happened so quickly after consuming this particular pet snack, which he had never had before. We monitored him closely over the next 24 hrs, and he is totally back to normal, as if nothing ever happened. We threw these snacks away and will never use them again. We will continue to pay careful attention to him, and if it happens again, we will then be faced with taking blood and urine samples to check for other issues. I really hope that the DreamBones was our actual problem, and this never happens again.