I am trying to deal with the fact that my parents are about to lose another dog that I grew up with (I picked her out as a puppy and they call her my other sister) In April their dog that they adopted at the same time passed away and it was very hard on my parents.
In May, a stray cat had 2 kittens in my garage and I decided to take care of them and I've put them in an adoption program and am fostering them. While I was doing this, another stray cat had 5 kittens in our woods. I took them in as well as there are several stray dogs that roam the neighborhood. I'm going to foster them as soon as they are old enough. I've been keeping mama #1 in the basement with her weaned kittens (they are about 13 weeks). I thought I brought her inside early enough (the kittens were about 6-7 weeks old) but evidently not because she looks like she is pregnant. I can NOT have more kittens! (I have four inside-only cats of my own, 6 cats (mama and kittens) in my spare bedroom, and 3 cats in my basement. So I have to find somewhere for mama #1 to go.
I can not put her in the adoption program because they want me to foster her and I don't have enough room to keep her inside. I would have to separate her from her first two male kittens (they are all in the basement) because I'm afraid mama would harm the kittens (which do not belong to me but to the adoption program) or the older kittens would harm the new kittens she appears about to have. I have called animal shelters, humane societies etc in my area and all refuse to take any more cats. The humane society (no kill) said they have an eight month waiting list to take in new cats!!! The cat rescue will not take any cats unless you agree to foster them. They advised me they do have a 24 hour drop off for strays but that 99% of them are euthanized because they do not have the resources to take care of them. They do not accept any kittens less than 4 weeks of age, so any young kittens are euthanized as well. There is NO possible way I could wait for her to have kittens and then take them all knowing they will be put down.
I'm trying to tell myself that this cat is better off being put down vs. living outside, not spayed, having litter after litter of kittens. Even if I had her spayed after this litter (what I'd planned to do after the first litter we found) she would still be an outdoor cat, scrounging for food and shelter and that is not much of a life. She is a semi friendly cat, she "talks" a lot and likes to rub on your legs. I'm not really attached to her or anything but I love animals and I just dont' know how I can take her to her death. I know I need to take her to the rescue even knowing what will become of her but I feel terrible about it. SHe is terrified of being in a cage so the drive there will traumatize her. Plus being stuck in a cage there (have no idea if they feed or water them).
Please tell me what the right thing to do is... This morning I was afraid she was going to have her kittens in my basement so I let her outside (she's been attacking her two older kittens and since they are not mine, I can't have her injuring them) and hoped she'd run off somewhere and have her kittens. But when I came home, she ran up to my car. I know I need to take her... I just need a push and to know I am doing the right thing..