replacement shower head - too heavy??

janeb_mdApril 10, 2012

I posted this on the bathroom forum, but I think I might get an answer here as well - I want to replace a shower head, and bought a new one (a Jalco) that is a LOT heavier than the existing one. My husband's concerned that it's too heavy for the shower arm and will eventually cause it to sag (or, worse, loosen the pipes in the wall) - is he being overly cautious? Both fit a standard fitting. The existing (20 year-old) head has 6 nozzles, the new one has 8.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

It does sound a little neurotic to me, unless you have really badly installed piping in the wall. Does he have any thing he can point to that would suggest this could be a problem, or is he just worrying without any evidence to support it?

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 11:10PM
Ozone89

I'm a Plumbing & Heating contractor, and if your lug ell in the wall was installed with roofing nails or nails versus screws, and I would be a little concerned.

I constantly installed these new rain shower heads for customers, and the shower arm is loose as hell.

When I mention that to the customer, and recommend drywall gets cut opened so it can be fixed, every single time they politely decline, and disclaimer goes on the bill to protect my butt.

With a shower arm being loose and wobbling around, your bigger concerned is the weight of the shower head breaking the shower arm off in the pipe...then it's P.I.A. time to get it out.

Check your shower arm!

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 12:47AM
janeb_md

Thanks - I think we're going to exchange it for something lighter-weight. I don't know what the installation behind the wall was done with - the bathroom was remodeled 20 years ago, just before we bought the house (which is about 90 years old).

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 2:19PM
More Discussions
Water pressue and other plumbing issues (MULTIPLE ISSUES - LONG)
I have a couple plumbing issues in my house. Some background... Approximately...
gtrshop
Hard Water or What?
We are renting an older duplex home in CT, and the...
roysterfam
toilet flapper closes too fast
a 5 y.o. AS 4396 w/Fluidmaster guts. The flapper is...
fritzgarden
shower problem....can someone give me a clue?
My hot water plumbing JUST started acting "wonky."...
bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
Cold Water TOO COLD! What to do?
I know there is a lot of concern over regulating hot...
mrb6228
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™