Managing a cat issue

katefisherAugust 11, 2009

I have three cats all about 10 years old. Within the past year one of my cats has began aggressively marking inside and outside the house. They have all been to the vet and it is not a physical issue. After talking with the vet I suspect the marking is due to increased cat pressure from felines and their owners moving in around us.

I'm at a point where I want to move the marking tabby outdoors. My challenge is that all three cats use the cat door to go in and out all day long. How do I go about keeping one out without restricting all three? So frustrated! Grr.

Thank you.

Kate

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sylviatexas1

I'd try Feliway, at least.

Putting a cat outside because cats are moving into the area will make him worse not better...until something happens to him.

Bookmark   August 11, 2009 at 5:22PM
katefisher

He is already outdoors by his own choice for almost the entire day. He could come inside using the cat door but chooses not to.

I don't understand the Feliway thing. Start spraying that around the inside of my house instead?

Kate

Bookmark   August 11, 2009 at 6:30PM
evaf555

I thought my cats were marking, both of them.

I had caught each of them peeing in the house.

One day I noticed one of the cats using an empty, clean litter box to pee in. I started cleaning the litter boxes more thoroughly, and now I tip each box and give it a shake after cleaning, so one end is free of cat litter. It turns out both of them prefer to pee on the plastic, instead of squatting in the clay.

Since I started doing this (fingers crossed, her) neither cat has marked inside the house.

Bookmark   August 15, 2009 at 3:07PM
sylviatexas1

Feliway is based on an enzyme that cats secrete to let other cats know "we come in peace".

It'll calm your cat & hopefully he will stop thinking he needs to mark his territory.

Bookmark   August 16, 2009 at 5:18PM
More Discussions
Kitty Xanax?
We have 6 cats, two are in desperate need of a grooming....
cornsnakelover
Smelly dog ears
I am not used to having a long floppy eared dog (Dachshund)....
lily316
Poison Control link
Some time ago Christine shared the following link to...
socks
Suddenly lost use of rear legs.
My 6 year old Golden suddenly lost use of his rear...
jgatty
Anyone had a problem with 'DreamBones' dog snack?
Has anyone had any problems with a dog snack called...
cas66ragtop
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™