suggestions for green or veg--must stand up to travel & wa

liz_hDecember 17, 2013

I'm hoping to avoid a casserole, in part because I know there will be plenty of rich food already. Now that I've typed this, I think a marinated vegetable salad might be perfect. I have a few recipes, but wouldn't mind more!

Also if you have any suggestions for a take along hot green vegetable that would still be good after an hour or two, I'd love to hear them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
breezygirl

I make this haricot vert recipe often. It's great warm and fresh, room temp, or cold so I make it all year round. Even my kids love it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green beans with walnuts and lemon vinaigrette

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 3:32PM
liz_h

Thanks breezygirl, that looks good. I also found some in the green bean casserole thread.

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 7:56PM
beachlily z9a

I use a marinated veggie recipe from an Italian restaurant. It's easy and delish!

1 pound vegetables (carrots, zucchini, cauliflower, celery or vegetable of your choice)
4 small cloves of garlic, light crusted with a heavy knife and peeled.
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 teaspoon oregano
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1-2 cups olive oil

Peel and cut vegetables into desired shapes and cook them in boiling salted water until tender but quite firm because the marinade will continue to soften them. (I steam the veggies, celery gets steamed for 2 min., and carrots and cauliflower are steamed for 3 min.)

Drain the vegetables and place in a deep storage dish with a securely sealed top.

Bury the garlic in the veggies. Add salt and pepper to taste, oregano, vinegar and olive oil to cover the bottom 1/4 of the veggies. Refrigerate, but occasionally shake container and rock back and forth to cover all veggies with light coating of oil. Allow to marinate at least overnight, removing the garlic after 24 hours. Serve at room temperature.

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 8:32PM
cooking2day

I can't remember when this marinated veggie dish wasn't part of our holiday dinners:

Mom's Broccoli/Cauliflower Salad

1 head each broccoli and cauliflower cut into bite size pieces.

Mix together:
1 cup oil
1/2 cup wine vinegar
1 tsp pepper
2 tsp salt
2 cloves crushed or minced garlic
1 T sugar
1 T dill weed
2 tsp garlic salt

Pour this over the broccoli/cauliflower mixture and let sit for at least a few hours. I always marinate in a zip-style bag and then pour into a serving bowl.

I never have garlic salt, but I do have granulated garlic, so I just use less and add salt. Paul Prudhomme says that using fresh and also dehydrated garlic in a dish adds to the layers of flavor, and I think that's true in this dish.

This is really simple and delicious. I could eat it all day.

Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 12:50PM
sleevendog

Check the 'any greenbean alternative?' post on this page...
I put the mixed veggie on that one instead of here...

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 2:12PM
liz_h

The marinated veggies sound yummy! I'll look some more at the ...alternative post.

Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 3:30PM
More Discussions
Substitutions that turned out better than the "real thing?"
Hi, all. The other day I wanted one of my "go-to"...
kiwigem
What's For Dinner #337
Annie, you and Elery are doing a wonderful job on the...
ann_t
Slightly shocket at Joy of Baking video
I started watching the Apple Pie video and right at...
wintercat_gw
Aeropress coffee-science question for coffee weenies
I got an Aeropress today. Just made my first cup of...
l pinkmountain
Once it was so easy..............................
To find whatever one wanted quickly. Now everything...
Robert Givens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™