My Sprinkler Pressure Vacuum Breaker Is Too Tall!

jhome2007April 14, 2011

Here is the picture of my Sprinkler's Pressure Vacuum Breaker. It is too tall and looks ugly. A plumber friend told me that he can fix it by cut it shorter. I have not used it since we moved in three years ago for some reasons. I believe he can do the work but not sure if there is any other thing to look at such as pressure and so on.

Thanks for any suggestion.

-J

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

How high are the sprinkler lines relative to the vacuum breaker?

Moving it down is simple.

Cut both vertical lines, add couplings and cement team back together.

Bookmark   April 14, 2011 at 10:01AM
jhome2007

The Sprinkler lines are under ground. I am concern about the pressure goes into the breaker and lines. My plumber forend might not be familiar with Sprinkler so do not want to make any mistake when we want to re-use it in the future.

Thanks for the reply.

-J

Bookmark   April 14, 2011 at 10:29AM
brickeyee

"The Sprinkler lines are under ground. "

How high are the underground lines relative to the vacuum breaker?

Relative height matters.

Bookmark   April 14, 2011 at 10:38AM
lazypup

The vacuum breaker is required to be at an elevation that is higher then the highest sprinkler head on the system. If your property slopes you have to find the elevation of the highest sprinkler then the vacuum breaker has to be at an elevation at least 6' higher than the highest sprinkler head.

Bookmark   April 14, 2011 at 10:54AM
zl700

6' some strange code thing?

Watts/Febco both state 12" above piping and outlets in installation instructions.

Bookmark   April 14, 2011 at 12:12PM
jhome2007

This is to reply to lazyouo regarding the height of the line. You said it should be at lease 6' higher than the highest sprinkler head. But my readings (i.e. http://www.irrigationrepair.com/pressure_vacuum_breaker_install_maintain_repair.html) says 12" is enough. I think this is one of the things I need to clarify before my plumber friend chop off the lines!

-J

Bookmark   April 14, 2011 at 12:34PM
brickeyee

I think he meant 6 inches.

This site has all sorts of problems dealing with single and double apostrophes.

Bookmark   April 14, 2011 at 1:57PM
jhome2007

Ok, cool. Do I need to do 'Winterize' before Winter after I cut the line?

-J

Bookmark   April 14, 2011 at 2:31PM
lazypup

OOOOOOOOOPPPs. I had a typo, it should read 6", however many local codes do enhance that to 12".

In regard to the question of pressure. Shortening the lines will have no effect on pressure.

Bookmark   April 14, 2011 at 3:04PM
jhome2007

Thanks all! Last question - we have not used the sprinkler system in the past three years since we moved in. We will re-arrange the lines in the future. Anyway, if we shorten the lines and still do not use it this year, do we need to do any pressure type of work before the Winter?

-J

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 10:57AM
GaryFx

This thread came up while searching for PVB height questions, so I'll add mine here:

Is there a limit to how high you can install the PVB valve, other than maybe having to support the piping by clamping it against the siding? Or maybe needing a ladder to test and drain it?

We need to figure out the relative height of the end of our long driveway, and at the moment, I'm thinking we'll either have to give up running the sprinkler to the curb, go with a potentially quite high PVB, or figure out if we can squeeze an RPZ into a utility closet that's already quite crowded.

Bookmark   September 22, 2014 at 11:20AM
More Discussions
Water pressue and other plumbing issues (MULTIPLE ISSUES - LONG)
I have a couple plumbing issues in my house. Some background... Approximately...
gtrshop
How long do PVC DWV pipes last?
I inherited our house that was built in 1972 and was...
Neptune Power Washing
New under mount sink - drain off-center?
I had a new granite countertop installed with an under...
mike_lee2
Hard Water or What?
We are renting an older duplex home in CT, and the...
roysterfam
Water Softener - Where to start?
I am looking to purchase a water softener given our...
sagosto
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™