Skimmer/Suction Pump instead of sump pump

andersogApril 2, 2011

Had a plumber come to advise me on a possible sump pump installation, and he advised against it as I'm so close to a small river that floods he thought my water table might be just under my foundation (just had a flood in early march that came up from underneath after a snowy winter and subsequently a week of 2 heavy rains).

He suggested I instead look into getting a 'skimmer pump' which I could have on the floor at my low spot, and next to it put an alarm for water. In other words, if we had an unusual amount of rain and water started coming in, I could turn the skimmer pump on and pump the water out through a hose. He said skimmer pumps can suction water at any level (ie they don't require a certain amount of water to work as most utility pumps do).

Any idea where I could get one of these pumps online?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You can check out McMaster-Carr at the link below, though Lowes, Tractor Supply, Home Depot, Menards, etc also carry skimmer pumps.
I prefer the one without an intake hose, McMaster-Carr's 3023K41, as the ones with an intake hoser can be a nuisance to prime. Skimmers can pump down to about 1/8" of water and should be monitored so they don't run dry (the water being pumped also cools the pump mechanism).

Here is a link that might be useful: McMaster-Carr

    Bookmark   April 4, 2011 at 11:26AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks for the info- very helpful.

I also found this Koshin model- any thought on this (It says it can pump down to a level of 1 mm):

    Bookmark   April 5, 2011 at 8:12AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Looks good, but the 3X+ price difference would make me think twice.

    Bookmark   April 5, 2011 at 11:49AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Salt-free water conditioning
Hi all, Considering installing a water softener in...
Doable...European sink & US bathroom pop-up drain and faucet?
if I purchase a small Belfast sink fron England to...
Quality of what general contactor is providing
I don't feel qualified to inspect my new home currently...
Larry Lotter
Marble shower panels valve replacement :( !!!
We have a couple of bathrooms with a single handle...
Vamsi Kodavanty
Hot water backflowing into cold supply
OK, I'm rephrasing my question, as what I'd asked before...
Sponsored Products
Bimini Top Canopy
$249.00 | FRONTGATE
Salt & Pepper Tumbler Set - 2 Piece - Menu A/S
$44.95 | HORNE
Outdoor Area Rug: Mystic Ikat 8' x 10' Printed Patio
Home Depot
Oil Rubbed Bronze Bath Accessory 4-piece Set
POP Cord Winder by BlueLounge
$5.88 | Lumens
Zig-Zag Bar Stool in Natural
$109.00 | LexMod
Chrome Traditional Exposed Sequential Thermostatic Shower Faucet Valve
Hudson Reed
Red Pump Wine Holder
$22.99 | Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™