Remote activated water circulator

tim45z10March 27, 2011

Does anyone know of a hot water circulator that I can activate with a switch? Not the chilipepper brand. Their customer service is lacking and I wont buy one from them. I don't want the water circulating throughout the day when I don't need it. Thank you for your input.

Tim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
justalurker

The Laing Autocirc has an appliance style timer built in so you can choose numerous windows when the unit can operate by its thermal control and windows when it will not operate.

A solid unit... have had mine for a long time and just let it run 24/7 using it's thermal control and have never seen an increase in my electric bill.

Bookmark   March 28, 2011 at 1:00AM
shadow700

I would think that most circulators can be run by a switch; you just plug them into a switched outlet and wire it to a switch that is convenient for you.

You can take this one step further and wire up an off-delay module and a motion sensor to turn the circulator on/off automatically when you walk into the room.

I used a Tyco VTM2 Off-Delay Timing Module with a ~210 kOhm resistor (to set a 15 minute off-delay) and an IR motion sensor. When triggered, the motion sensor either opens or closes a set of contacts on the relay, which closes a line voltage circuit and starts a timer. The timer gets reset anytime there is motion detected. When the timer expires, the live voltage circuit opens. The line voltage feeds the hot side of the outlet that the circulator is plugged in to.

Bookmark   March 28, 2011 at 12:18PM
greenerremods

Redytemp circulators will do what you want and if you want to use your own pump their TLC-X1 controller can be purchased by itself. Just plug your pumps powercord into the controllers power socket and now you have all the control you want, on-demand operation, timed, motion sensored, etc. I like that it can be activated from anywhere in the home with the right options. The chilipeppers are noisey burnout alot, while the laing circulators state in small print that your required to periodically inspect and clean buildup from inside the pump. Whats the time interval for periodically anyway?

Here is a link that might be useful: Hot Water Circulation Control with Redytemp TLC-X1 controller

Bookmark   March 28, 2011 at 2:31PM
justalurker

Routine maintenance, what an inconvenience! Takes all of three minutes for me to remove the pump and disassemble to inspect and requires NO tools.

I've owned my Laing Autocirc for over 5+ years and have checked the buildup in the pump for the first 3 years... never found any.
I have very hard water and a softener that provides ZERO hardness water so YMMV.

I'm always amused when people dismiss something they never tried or because of anecdotal information, but don't listen to those who have had have one... for a long time.

Bookmark   March 28, 2011 at 3:25PM
More Discussions
Central Valley Water Filtration Suggestions
We are stationed in Lemoore, CA 45 minutes south of...
nomar116
fleck fusion high flow metered water softener
Our Culligan has died and we aint too heartbroken about...
vossner
what brand water softener
have 2400 sq ft rancher on town water. do not have...
questionoftheday
Hot water backflowing into cold supply
OK, I'm rephrasing my question, as what I'd asked before...
pjb999
Terminox ISM for iron/manganese removal
Hi, I have had a water softener with other assorted...
merlin2552
Sponsored Products
Skram | Lineground Lowdown Media Unit
YLiving.com
Flat Chrome Modern Heated Bathroom Towel Radiator 59 x 23.5 & Valves
Hudson Reed
Progress Lighting Ceiling Fan Controls AirPro Ceiling Fan Remote Control White
$46.44 | Home Depot
Cheshire Cherry Riviera Twin Disney Princess Lightheaded Bed Set
$399.99 | zulily
Commercial Cool 8,000 BTU 3-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner
Overstock.com