Any products that includes Heartworm, Flea & Tick prevention?

pawprint1August 5, 2009

For Dogs: I realize there are many more products available but IÂve chosen to list the below 4 to represent my question.

Revolution - prevents Heartworm & Fleas.

Heartgard Plus - prevents Roundworms and Hookworms.

Frontline Plus - prevents Fleas & Ticks.

Advantage - kills Fleas.

I canÂt find 1 product that prevents Heartworm, FleaÂs & Ticks IN THE SAME DOSE.

Does everyone buy 2 or 3 products for prevention?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luvdogs

i like your organized and structured thinking for solving a problem.

I use none of those products - are you using them because the pet products industry is telling you to use them? or do you really need them? I think it's the pet-products industry. Remember, they want you to believe that what they sell - YOU NEED.

For example, there's a vet in my area that really pushes heartworm medication and so i did a little research on heartworms. They are a problem in humid areas not in Arizona where i'm at.

This same vet was charging me over 100% more than another vet for the same chemotherapy. I promptly fired that vet.

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 11:49AM
mazer

Since my dog is allergic to flea bites, advantage has been a god send. I use Heartguard for the mosquitos. I use the time when I dose my dog to brush him out or massage him. I prefer lots of daily hands on contact so I dont mind applying more than one dose. Other than just not buying 2 products I dont see a problem. Is it that you just dont want so many products around? Is it cost? Or dosing that is the issue?

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 2:19PM
pawprint1

It would be nice to have 1 dose per month, per dog. I doubt it would be cheaper, just a thought for convenience & accuracy.

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 6:46PM
Meghane

There are no products that prevent heartworms, fleas, and ticks. From experience, I haven't seen dogs on Advantage Multi with ticks, but that may be just a lot of luck. I know the product is not specifically labeled to prevent ticks, but it does seem to do a reasonable job for dogs that aren't overly exposed. I wouldn't trust it for my dogs since we go to tick-infested parks for hikes all the time.

My dogs are on Frontline Plus for fleas and ticks, and Iverheart for heartworm prevention. I also deworm them once a month with fenbendazole because they are constantly exposed to foster dogs I bring home (usually sick), dog parks, kennels, etc. And I live in Parasite Central, NC.

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 7:41PM
More Discussions
Anyone had a problem with 'DreamBones' dog snack?
Has anyone had any problems with a dog snack called...
cas66ragtop
dog suddenly licking snow and plants
Today, like normal, my dog woke me when she needed...
greengirlreba
special food for cat's renal failure?
My 15 yr old male cat Jagra has now got kidney problems...
MrsLizzyNorCal Suns17-USDA9b
Dog still has fleas after using Frontline Plus..
Two weeks ago, I gave my dog a bath and then applied...
dianamo_1
Excellent Animal Hospital in New England?
We are happy with our vet (actually vets, she has a...
sue36
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™