Please ID if this is a plumbing problem...

ntt_houMarch 19, 2013

I live in a typical 1-story residential home in a typical city neighborhood. I've been living in this home for 9 years now. The past few weeks, I've been hearing a sound of water turning on and off rapidly. Something that I haven't heard before.

I've noticed this sound when I'm in my bedroom. Could this be something coming from the water heater or its pipes? The water heater is located in the attic at approximately above the doorway of my bedroom. This is why I'm thinking it could come from the water heater. The Whirlpool water heater was replaced about 5 years ago, it's a 50-gallons tank, self-cleaning and it has a 12-year warranty.

Since the sound comes on and off quickly and not enough with repetition, I can't check for sure if it's the water heater or not. Plus, I'm a disabled individual and enable to go up the attic and check to see if there's a problem or not.

Before calling a plumber out which is expensive for someoene living on a fixed income like me, I'd like to have an idea of the cause of this sound. I've been searching online data and only found something about a well pump short cycling. This home uses city water, we have no well in our yards or nearby.

If you know something about this sound and could share your knowledge, it'd be of help to me. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

It may be a toilet flush valve leaking and the fill mechanism is replenishing the water that has drained out past the flush valve. Look and listen at each toilet. If that is not helpful, put some food coloring in the water in the tank and see if it shows up in the bowl with the flush mechanism undisturbed.

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 8:06AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ntt_hou

Thank you. Most likely it's the toilet by the bedroom which that's where the sound came from when I was in the bathroom. I will check the flush valve and will do the color test. Hopefully, it's something that I can repair it myself.

Thanks again.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 12:20AM
More Discussions
Details of a new residential water service
I'm in the planning stages of replacement for my 55...
dgeist
New Water Softener problem (Fleck 5000 ProFloSXT)
Hello, I recently moved into a home that uses well...
djt511
how to turn off dual water handle on kitchen valves
I need to turn off water to kitchen sink. We have...
akaelsie
Marble shower panels valve replacement :( !!!
We have a couple of bathrooms with a single handle...
Vamsi Kodavanty
fleck fusion high flow metered water softener
Our Culligan has died and we aint too heartbroken about...
vossner
Sponsored Products
STERLING Plumbing Ensemble 33-1/4 in. x 55-1/4 in. 1-Piece Direct-to-Stud
$81.11 | Home Depot
Aero Satin Nickel Two-Light Halogen Wall Sconce with Opal Matte Glass
$238.50 | Bellacor
B Is for Bow Wall Art
$44.99 | zulily
Sterling Finesse 6305-36DR-G05 36.5W x 65.5H in. Clear Glass Shower Door Multico
$871.99 | Hayneedle
Magdalena King Bed
$3,199.00 | Horchow
Haze Rug 7'9" x 10'10" - SHADE
$1,159.00 | Horchow
Blossom Beige and Multi-Colored Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$418.95 | Bellacor
Couristan Everest Isfahan Oriental Rug - Crimson Multicolor - 3791/4872-5.3X5.3O
$129.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™