My baby has polycystic kidney disease

kittiemomAugust 7, 2010

We took Magic to the vet for another follow-up regarding a huge single cyst he had last year that basically filled his abdomen. No sign of that one, but the ultrasound showed polycystic kidney disease, which wasn't present on the ultrasound last year. The vet also says there are cysts on his liver. His blood tests at this time are all normal; vet says that's excellent. She says she can't give us a time line because there's no way to tell how quickly this will progress. She says he could have as much as two years, but three is unlikely. He will be ten years old next month. She put him on Hill's Prescription Diet k/d food. She says no fluids are necessary at this time as he is showing no symptoms.

I am just devastated. We have no children & Magic is my baby. (We also have two other cats). He is so special. He follows me around the house like a little dog. I'm still trying to get over the initial shock. If anyone here has been through this & has any advice, it would be appreciated. Please keep us in your thoughts.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laurief_gw

I'm so sorry for Magic's diagnosis. The link below will provide you with some information about PKD.

I'm not sure why your vet put him on k/d since he isn't showing any signs of renal failure yet, but you may want to research that decision. A protein-restricted diet like k/d may do more harm than good in cats who are not in late-stage renal failure, because the reduced protein intake may cause various physical problems. You can read more about protein requirements and CRF at this link:

http://www.felinecrf.org/nutritional_requirements.htm#protein

Here is a link that might be useful: PKD in cats

Bookmark   August 7, 2010 at 11:27AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Meghane

As usual, I agree with Laurie about the food.

I hope Magic is happy and healthy for many more years.

Bookmark   August 7, 2010 at 6:09PM
More Discussions
special food for cat's renal failure?
My 15 yr old male cat Jagra has now got kidney problems...
MrsLizzyNorCal Suns17-USDA9b
Elsa/cystitis/vinegar
Last night I was frantically searching through messages...
ElsasMom
Poison Control link
Some time ago Christine shared the following link to...
socks
Excellent Animal Hospital in New England?
We are happy with our vet (actually vets, she has a...
sue36
Help with death on my dog
perianal fistula disease. Does anyone have experience...
ronminsouthga
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™