Nose to Nose.....What Gives?

katie49August 31, 2012

I have a 1 1/2 year old Standard Poodle and just got a 6 year old German Shepard mix. They are both neutered males. My young Std is sniffing the shepard's mouth almost ALL the time. What gives? I can't think or imagine what this is all about in the doggy world. The shepard usually doesn't mind but gets pretty fed up sometimes. They've been together a week now and it is still going on. Will it stop or at least slow down?

Thanks for any enlightening.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ninapearl

the only thing that comes to mind is maybe the shepard has a dental problem. something like an infected tooth that is giving off an odor? does he eat ok? i can't think of anything else that would make another dog so interested in his front end. usually, it's the back end that gets all the sniffing!

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 8:01PM
calliope

Yes, what Ninapearl said. There have actually been cases of dogs who had habitually sniffed at their owners and the humans found out after the fact that the area the dog wouldn't leave alone was cancerous. So dogs most definitely can pick up aromas not considered normal. Dental problems would pop immediately to mind.

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 8:44PM
ms_minnamouse

Is it just sniffing or is there any licking going on? It sounds like it could also be over arousal on the part of the spoo. Sometimes they get downright silly and odd when they're so excited, they can't figure out what to do with themselves.

Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 2:27AM
jakabedy

I also would suspect dental problems. But if that checks out fine, I would just say that animals are quirky. I have a cattle dog mix girl who bites the whiskers off of the other dogs. And they let her!

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 10:43AM
cindyandmocha

My older female Ginger (13-14 yr old english shepherd) and relatively new 2 yr old male Boo (dobie/setter mix) do this ALLLLLLL the time. She also use to do this with Rusty and Mocha. I read something years ago that its akin to "butt sniffing" and "pee sniffing" - its really dog language for "where have you been and what have you been eating". Remember that dog communicate very much through smell.

In essence... (pun intended) it's "nosiness".

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 2:42AM
More Discussions
Cat,s ears causing misery
we adopted sweet kitty (8yrsold) just 6 wks ago. Took...
dancingirl_gw
Excellent Animal Hospital in New England?
We are happy with our vet (actually vets, she has a...
sue36
Adopted older stray dog now poops in the house...
Hi, I adopted a stray dog from mexico. She is very...
Lynn Souliere Neal
Suddenly lost use of rear legs.
My 6 year old Golden suddenly lost use of his rear...
jgatty
It's 2015....time for a new post about Vaccuum cleaners for Pet hair!!
Exciting, I know!! :). I searched and the most recent...
magsnj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™