Best melting 'white chocolate' chips

linnea56December 19, 2010

I keep trying brands. I used to have ones that worked, but it seems like they've changed their formulas to hold their shape, to be used as chips on cookies, rather than melt. Even melting discs, did not melt right (?!) I'm almost convinced white chocolate has it in for me.

Last year I went through so many bags, different brands, and none melted. I tried microwave, double boiler (my preferred method, as I can keep it over the water while working), nothing worked.

My 19 year old daughter's white chocolate dipped strawberries did not work. We stayed up half the night, and she was so disappointed. She was going to bring them to an extended family dinner, and wow everyone. She almost cried. I probably spent $20 on white chocolate, only to have bags full of hardened junk chipped out of the pans/bowls afterward (still awaiting some possible use, in the back of the refrigerator).

The best melting regular "chocolate" chocolate turned out to be Trader Joe's big blocks.

I know you can buy Almond Bark making blocks, but I read the label on those, and it was not appealing.

Every Christmas I want to melt some to at least drizzle on candies or chocolate dipped cookies. This year I'll ask here first!

Thank you for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jude31

I just used Ghiradelli white choc. chips to go in the Margarita Balls (Cookie thread) but the choc. chips were mixed in and worked great. Don't know how they would have worked for dipping.

jude

Bookmark   December 19, 2010 at 2:23PM
terri_pacnw

Ghiradelli melts perfectly...and don't have a lot of "interesting" things in the ingredients list. Albertsons "upper" level White chips have quality ingredients too.

Bookmark   December 19, 2010 at 2:44PM
shaun

I've melted Ghiradelli chips in the microwave and they melt fine.

Bookmark   December 19, 2010 at 4:56PM
shawnalyn

I have had the same problem. I tried a package of ghiradelli, and I agree with the others. These are the best by far. I found that microwave works best for melting them. Also, if you are having trouble getting white chocolate smooth enough, a tsp of shortening will smooth it out a lot.

Bookmark   December 19, 2010 at 7:41PM
More Discussions
Apologies to St. Patrick
Not even the corned beef was done the traditional way....
dcarch7
The Monkey Princess makes pasta and pies
The Princess has Italian grandparents on Dave's side,...
annie1992
So what is "a bunch"?
It drives me crazy when recipes call for a bunch of...
laceyvail
Key Lime Pie Topping Help?
I had never made a Key Lime Pie or a Graham Cracker...
chas045
What happened to my soup?
Made a homemade chicken soup....carrots, onion, celery,...
lookintomyeyes83
Sponsored Products
Glass Sinks Black/White Helix Glass Vessel Sink Heptagon
The Renovator's Supply, Inc.
Bocci | 14.36 Rectangle Pendant Chandelier
YLighting
Cappuccino Truffles - GOLD
$26.00 | Horchow
Moes Home Otago Oval Dining Table in White
Beyond Stores
Furniture of America Flaxton Leatherette Chair - Black - IDF-6607-CH
$704.92 | Hayneedle