locating water main pipe inside

tl2012March 18, 2013

I am trying to get to the water main once inside the house, I located where it is outside, however, it appears to be coming in from a decorative facade. I am trying to determine where can I make the least intrusive cut out in the garage, and a easy dry wall fix once i am done.

i am attaching the 2 drawings, and number of locations i am guessing i should be cutting. any advise would be great. i really dread drywall fixing, so that's priority number 1.

the goal is to attach one of those electromagnetic water treatment device to the pipes (lets skip the debate over this, since i am doing it as an experiment).

thanks,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tl2012

here's where i think i am going to cut looking at the right corner of the garage facing out.

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 6:22PM
greg_2010

I located where it is outside, however, it appears to be coming in from a decorative facade

I have no idea what this means. Could you take a picture of the outside?

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 11:41AM
tl2012

thanks greg, here's a picture, note the main pipe goes in the wall pretty forward, that's why I don't think cutting the side wall will work. thanks.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 5:10PM
greg_2010

Is it going in right behind the red handle for your hose?

I don't think cutting into the front wall will do you any good. There would be no reason for the pipe to go there. Think about where the line would run inside the walls. If it goes in near the front of the garage, then it would probably make an immediate turn and head straight towards the house. So cut into the sidewall at the same height that it enters from the outside.

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 10:34AM
tl2012

as luck would have it. there is absolutely nothing in the side wall. when i tried to cut the front wall, i am hitting a board of some sort.

my guess is that it is entering at the angle where neither wall can get to it, then goes up immediately then start traveling towards the water heater and the rest of the house.

i am thinking I should cut along the roof where #5 is but on the side wall.

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 7:54PM
woodbutcher_ca

Hi, Just an idea. Get a mechanics stethescope ( Habor Freight Think cheap). Run the water at the furthest distance away. Water makes a lot of noise when running. With stethescope you may be able to trace the line.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 8:59PM
More Discussions
Trying to verify gas pipe size
I am installing a new natural gas range and oven, and...
hoolabob
De-winterize, re-winterize...costs?
My 24 yr old son is buying a 1950 home on a short sale...
cindywhitall
Water Softener - calling justalurker
Hopefully you are still around. I had reached out a...
toddimt
Am I the only one bothered by this?
Since Houzz took over, these forums have become a spam-infested...
aliceinwonderland_id
toilet flapper closes too fast
a 5 y.o. AS 4396 w/Fluidmaster guts. The flapper is...
fritzgarden
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™