Whole house softener first, or filtration first? and more Q's

mudwormMarch 7, 2011

In my naive view, it makes sense for the water to go through the softener first, and then the whole house filtration. But the system in our basement seems to be backwards. Is it screwed up?

We purchased our house 4+ years ago. They were already (installed in 2004 according to the disclosure). We never paid attention to either of the systems. Now, we decided to pull our acts together and do the proper maintenance.

Water Softener: 5600 Econominder

Filtration: Auqasana EQ-300 after two pre-filtration (20 micros and 5 microns).

For the filtration, we seem to just need to order the EQ-300 and the filter cartridges and replace the whole system (pretty much).

For the water softener, I think we should rinse out the brine tank (looks a little gunky) and start adding salt. I think we need to figure out the settings. There is nothing we can/should do about the resin tank, correct?

Did I forget anything?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
asolo

Well, yes and no.

Inasmuch as you seem to know little about such things I would recommend you hire someone to straighten you out and get you launched. Learn from them. You'll be able to handle it yourself after that, I'll bet.

Household water supply is basic. Needs to be right. Don't pretend you know stuff that you don't. Due respect to members of the forum, I recommend you get a knowledgeable person on-site.

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 7:25PM
aliceinwonderland_id

Typical water treatment should be: First: particulate filtration (most of the other treatments steps can't handle the solids) - your prefilters perform this function. Second: Chlorine (city water -softeners are damaged by chlorine) and VOC filtration, typically GAC (carbon) - your EQ-300 performs this function. Third: Iron, sulfates, manganese (not typically necessary with most water). Fourth: hardness - the softener takes care of this.

So, your setup is most likely in the correct order. You do want to get someone with expertise to look at it though. At present, you have no idea what type of shape any of the equipment is in - a water treatment pro can help.

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 9:52PM
mudworm

Hi aliceinwonderland_id , thanks for reassuring me that the installation was right. I thought it would be because the plumbing seemed to be well thought out in the basement, but just wanted to confirm.

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 2:48PM
More Discussions
Fed up and ready to tackle my well water issues
I've been reading posts trying to educate myself for...
nutherokie
Details of a new residential water service
I'm in the planning stages of replacement for my 55...
dgeist
Costco Water Ridge Dual Flush -- Need reviews
Any more reviews on the dual flush Water Ridge toilet?...
smudgecat99
Hot water backflowing into cold supply
OK, I'm rephrasing my question, as what I'd asked before...
pjb999
Under counter water filters…again
I've lurked here for over a year and have learned so...
motherwallace
Sponsored Products
Tuscan Garden Navarro Sand LED Tall Tapered Outdoor Wall Sconce with Egg and Dar
$534.00 | Bellacor
Aquatic Bathtubs Dossi 30 Q 5 ft. Left Hand Drain Whirlpool Bath Tub in Biscuit
Home Depot
Design House 515817 Juneau 2-Light ENERGY STAR Island Pendant - Oil Rubbed Bronz
$191.99 | Hayneedle
Gigi Trails Runner 3' x 10'
$1,039.00 | Horchow
Lenox Outdoor Lighting Flush Mount
$209.00 | FRONTGATE
Vintage Boucherouite
| Dot & Bo
Hampton Bay Brushed Steel Table Lamp: Mix & Match 26 in. Swirled Cage Table Lamp
$19.97 | Home Depot
Veranda Mink 20-Inch Decorative Pillow
$46.00 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™