Do you tip your plumber?

petra_gwMarch 4, 2011

We had a new faucet installed today. The bill was $50, and my husband tipped $10. I mentioned this to a friend and she thinks we are nuts "because plumbers charge a lot already". But the way hub sees it, they don't own the business, they work for the plumbing company and probably get an hourly wage. So he sees nothing wrong with giving a tip, and I agree with him. I'd love some input from the plumbers on this forum. :o)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homebound

Normally you don't. But at the bargain price of $50 for that work, and for an employee, it can happen on occasion. And I applaud you seeing it at a higher level, so to speak. With a good amount of sloppy/messy/inattentive-to-drips work out there, it's nice to hear about your appreciation.

As an aside, wen my father calls his plumber, I often hear him joking with him after receiving some advice, saying "honor thy plumber". There's some truth in that when you find a good one.

Bookmark   March 4, 2011 at 8:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
asolo

Whether plumbers or other workers.....

When they show up and do the job, no tip. If/when I have scheduling troubles or special concerns -- which is frequent given my care-giving situation -- and they show up having obviously juggled their schedules to accommodate my needs, I certainly do tip and verbally express my appreciation to them and their managers for the consideration given. My situation is probably unusual that way.

IMHO, ordinary work gets ordinary wages. However, when I think I've received exceptional service and/or consideration, I make sure the workers know from me that I've noticed. I know this is unusual because over the decades, various workers have told me so. On the other hand, conscientious service people have saved me loads of aggravation because of the extra effort they've put in from time-to-time. When they make a difference for me, I make a difference for them.

Bookmark   March 5, 2011 at 11:02AM
More Discussions
Fed up and ready to tackle my well water issues
I've been reading posts trying to educate myself for...
nutherokie
Any experience with Riobel?
I have been searching high and low for a floor mounted...
pumpkinhouse
Fleck 5600 Econominder - Salty Tasting Water
I just installed a new 1.5 cu ft water softener with...
larry_a_williams
Quality of what general contactor is providing
I don't feel qualified to inspect my new home currently...
Larry Lotter
how to turn off dual water handle on kitchen valves
I need to turn off water to kitchen sink. We have...
akaelsie
Sponsored Products
48" Merlot Vanity for Semi-Recessed Sink
Signature Hardware
Leaning Lamp
| Dot & Bo
Lakelynn Garden Trellis
Grandin Road
Bright Beige Shag Rug
$14.99 | zulily
Cityscape Silver Torch 16-Inch Wall Sconce with White Frost
$169.10 | Bellacor
Home Decorators Collection Empire 9.5 in. H x 14 in. W Small French Script Linen
$29.00 | Home Depot
Linden King-size Bed
Overstock.com
Hinkley Lighting Forum Museum Black Three-Light Outdoor Wall Light
$499.00 | LuxeDecor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™