How do you find the owner when you find a lost cat?

phish_gwAugust 30, 2011

A cat has shown up at our house. We have trapped him and believe he is not feral and is either a well fed stray or a lost cat that belongs to someone.

How do I go about finding his owner (if he has one)? Do they have lost and found ads anymore? We don't have a local newspaper anymore so I can't try there? Are there good online sites to report a found kitty or look to see if someone posted about a lost kitty?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pamghatten

Not even a local weekly paper?

Lots of people post lost/found animals on their local Craigslist. There is a pet section.

Bookmark   August 30, 2011 at 11:27AM
calliope

The newspaper issue is a hard one, isn't it? Yes on the craigslist. I would also send a flyer to all of your local vets because most have bulletin boards for such ads. Some areas have free weekly merchandiser papers they distribute to homes and businessness and that's a possibility. Ours has. Then report it to your local shelter or humane officer in case anyone should call there to see if it turned up.

Bookmark   August 30, 2011 at 12:33PM
aviolet6

Also ask around in your neighborhood. It may be one of your neighbors or they might know who it belongs to.

Bookmark   August 30, 2011 at 12:51PM
jan2

Take the cat to a vet and have it scanned...it may have a micro-chip.

Jan

Bookmark   August 30, 2011 at 2:23PM
kittens

Yes, Craigslist is a really good place to look. There is a pet section and also a lost & found section. Check and post both places.

If you google "report a lost cat" you'll come up with multiple internet places you can search and report on. I hope you are able to locate the owner. When they get lost it feels like trying to find a needle in a haystack for the owners.

Bookmark   August 30, 2011 at 6:50PM
More Discussions
Elsa/cystitis/vinegar
Last night I was frantically searching through messages...
ElsasMom
Dog training human.....
I am an intermittent dog trainer. I worked hard at...
agmss15
My cat has an unknown illness! Help!!!!
Hi There I have a 14 and a half year old male cat Sylvester...
rachelmfi
dog suddenly licking snow and plants
Today, like normal, my dog woke me when she needed...
greengirlreba
Constipated Kitty (Warning - LONG)
Hi All - I haven't been on the forum in quite awhile,...
manda3183
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™