hot water slow to pressure

jeniferkeyMarch 17, 2011

We have a hot water line that goes first to the shower, then the sink, then runs to a dead end in the wall where there used to be a sink. We had a leak at the dead end for a few weeks, but that has been fixed. We had older shower fixtures that were replaced at the same time with a mixer that seems to be temperature controlled.

I've noticed in the shower there is no pressure until the water turns hot. I let it run from the tub spout, because there will be barely enough pressure to engage the shower. Not an issue. I switch to shower when the water is hot.

But, in the sink it seems similar. When I turn on only hot water, it has very low water pressure until the water turns hot, then the pressure increases to an acceptable flow.

We're on a well, and pressure isn't that good to begin with. Does this sound normal for the sink with a hot and cold water valve? Is there anything I should check?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alphonse

Since we have to start somewhere, here's a question for you. Did the problem exist prior to replacing the fixtures?

You're implying the shower mixer has anti-scald protection...does the sink as well? Further, if a plumber did the work was there a mixer installed at your water heater?

Since the system is well supplied (excuse the pun) do you know what the drawdown volume is, and where the pressure band is set (20/40,40/60, etc.)?

Try not to conflate volume (flow) with pressure (force).

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 9:40AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeniferkey

I think we found the answer. It does sound like you are right that it's volume I'm concerned with and not pressure. The sink doesn't have the anti-scald, and the water heater doesn't have a mixer. What we do have is a water filter after the water pressure tank from the well. My husband changed out the filter and now my water volume (flow) is the same from the hot water faucet even while the water is cold. Now I'm not sure why it increased when the water got hot, but it's working the way I'm used to.
Thanks for clarifying the difference between volume and pressure. Our pressure is low. I think around 30, so probably 20/40 at the pressure tank. But volume isn't typically an issue.

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 2:08PM
More Discussions
Culligan HE vs Kinetico Premier vs Fleck
Hi, After doing some research regarding the above water...
blessedmomof4
shower problem....can someone give me a clue?
My hot water plumbing JUST started acting "wonky."...
bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
De-winterize, re-winterize...costs?
My 24 yr old son is buying a 1950 home on a short sale...
cindywhitall
Grohe Ladylux Cafe Touch Faucet
Does anyone have this faucet, and if so, do you like...
sharon_va
Warm water mornings on cold line for 30 secs....
We have been living in a home built in 2011 (in Canada)...
nikolaos2012
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™