know of breed rescue?

cheryl_pAugust 31, 2009

Can anyone steer me to a GSD rescue group that I can contact? I've gotten myself into a "fix". The neighbor of a friend of a friend (I know!) has a one-year-old shepard chained in the backyard....one of those neglect stories. I am willing to even purchase the dog in order to get it out of there but I DON'T have the set up (cats, no space, etc) for an unruly albeit beautiful, smart LARGE dog. One of the general rescues here is full and keeps saying I should foster it. Well, I can't. Other people have criticized me for even getting involved but how could I not?! The Humane Soc. has visited the dog twice now or so I'm told. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ninapearl

cheryl, where do you live? there are any number of breed-specific rescues that might take this dog, if they are within a reasonable distance.

Bookmark   August 31, 2009 at 8:52AM
nancyinmich

Go to Google. Type in "German Shepherd Dog Rescue" and the name of the closest large city.

Bookmark   August 31, 2009 at 10:06AM
cheryl_p

The dog is in Flint, Michigan. Thanks.

Bookmark   August 31, 2009 at 1:56PM
mazer415

1. Good for you for getting involved and even being willing to put out funds for this dog.
2. Go drop the dog off at the ASPCA - they are a no kill shelter and will should take the dog.
3. Good luck

Bookmark   August 31, 2009 at 3:24PM
waterotter

Contact the SPCA. I had occasion to call a few years back regarding a "German Shepard Puppy Mill" where all the dogs were neglected. The SPCA Officer that responded was a retired Police Officer! The people involved can never own an animal again. By contacting the SPCA you are more apt to ensure a proper investigation/follow-up thereby protecting any future animals these people may get. You can remain anonymous if you wish.

I applaud you for getting involved. We are their voice when they do need help.

Bookmark   August 31, 2009 at 9:21PM
petaloid

The link below lists three rescue groups for German Shepherd dogs in Michigan, though only the first two links work for me:

Here is a link that might be useful: German Shepherd dog rescue groups

Bookmark   August 31, 2009 at 9:39PM
More Discussions
Help me please!
Hello everyone I need some advice! I've had my beautiful...
azuresnow
How to keep my cat from killing birds
Does anyone have any secrets for how to keep their...
phish_gw
How to get my new cat to stop fighting old/current cats
I posted a few weeks ago for advice on introducing...
phish_gw
ACL tear in dog's knee
Hi everyone, Our dog Maggie was just diagnosed with...
Pinky920
cat with renal failure
My 17 yo cat has renal failure and has developed abdominal...
dlana
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™