Caesarstone Countertop MISTAKE - how much to ask back vs. re-do

tungsten79March 5, 2013

Hi all,

Caesarstone countertop just installed - project cost $4k including materials/installation. At one corner cut, one side is over-cut into the Caesarstone by 1/2 inch. They filled it with some colored resin material, but it's still visible. No backsplash or tile on the adjacent wall.

How much to ask for discount from the fabricator? I don't think they'll want to re-cut the whole piece.

I feel it looks sloppy.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wi-sailorgirl

I'll be interested to see what the experts say, but I'm with you, that looks sloppy. I would not ask for a discount, I'd ask for it to be redone. No matter how much money I got back for that I wouldn't want to look at it.

By the way, is that one of the new colors? It looks very neat from what I can see of it (disregarding the major mistake).

Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 10:44AM
tungsten79

thanks! this is a new color - Style #5033 Piatra grey.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 1:18PM
live_wire_oak

Rethink the backsplash. It is industry standard to have some gap between the counter and wall. Not THAT big of a gap, but 1/8", and even 1/4" is common.

THAT should be redone. No discount.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 1:29PM
blondelle

I agree! That doesn't look right at all. Have them redo it. It's an expensive purchase and it should be done right. You don't want to be aggravated by it every time you see it.

In the meantime would you be so kind as to post some photos of your counter. Would love to see what the counter in that pattern looks like and see more of that pattern on a run of counter. Please :-)!

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 1:44PM
wi-sailorgirl

Yes, more pictures of the countertop! I haven't seen any installed pictures of Piatra Gray yet and it looks fantastic!

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 2:25PM
elwydee

They botched my Caesarstone too, with an almost 1/2 inch gap between the counter and backsplash. Even though there will be tile on the backsplash, it wouldn't hide that big a gap. I paid for a Caesarstone counter, not caulk.

The rep who came out immediately agreed that was unacceptable and they redid the entire job without argument, starting all over with the template process.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 3:10PM
chickpea8

What a bummer, you must be disappointed. I would demand a redo, this is a long term investment and you deserve to have your kitchen done to a sufficent standard.

BTW, I too would love to see a big picture of what the Cesarstone looks like. I am in the process of picking a counter color and this looks wonderful from the picture you show. Thanks!!

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 4:33PM
a2gemini

OMGosh - that is ugly - I can barely see our seams in our Cambria!
Not acceptable!!!

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 7:45PM
suzanne_sl

The fabricator may not "want" to re-cut that piece, but that is what needs to happen. live_wire_oak is correct that some gap is acceptable, but not 1/2". For $4000, you should expect a job that meets at least minimum industry standards.

From the Marble Institute of America guidelines:

11.6 Joints at Materials Transition.
Visible joints be-tween the stone units and other materials (e.g., cabinetry, gypsum wall board) shall be 1/8â nominal, with a tolerance of ñ1/16â (ñ1.5 mm), and filled with a low modulus elastomeric material....Concealed joints between the stone and other construction materials (e.g., stone-to-wall joint underneath the backsplash) shall be sized to ensure a minimum of 1/8â (3 mm) of cover.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 8:08PM
wi-sailorgirl

Just checking back to see if the OP is around to update us on what happened (and maybe to share a couple of countertop pictures).

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 6:16PM
More Discussions
Kitchen design assistance - Small kitchen
I have a 12x13 foot kitchen with way too many entry...
schuste1
Specific stacked upper cab questions
I'm looking for input as I get closer to finalizing...
melis918
Help! Are rift cut, slab cabinets always veneer?
We got a sample of our door color for our slab, rift...
frogster
Gap between backsplash and over-the-range microwave?
Hi, all. Does anyone have an over-the-range microwave...
hjs
Help with galley kitchen layout ... please.
Hi everyone! I am hoping you can help me with my layout...
ybchat67
Sponsored Products
Bianca 72" Wall-Mounted Double Bathroom Vanity - Gray Oak Finish with Black Gran
Modern Bathroom
Lolo Grey Finish 30-inch Bar Stool
Overstock.com
Drop In Bowls White China Roped Self-rimming Drop In Bowl | 97261
The Renovator's Supply, Inc.
Oval 19" Stacked Stone Copper
PLFixtures
Maison Canister
$69.50 | FRONTGATE
Avanity Westwood 24" Bathroom Vanity - Dark Ebony
Modern Bathroom
Virtu USA JD-50355-GW 55 Zuri - Gloss White - Double Sink Bathroom Vanity