Water Drainage - Outside

mav3481March 10, 2011

All,

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but it has to deal with PVC :-)

I'm looking to take two downspouts from the front of my house and direct them into a PVC 6" pipe buried about 8 inches down and sloped to allow the water to run off. I would then tunnel under the sidewalk and out towards the street.

Does anyone see a problem with this plan or using PVC? I know I could use a weeping tile drain type of system so I can collect from the yard as well, but I'm just trying to get this away from my "pool" next to my porch.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

The flexible weeping hose can get clogged with silt and roots. The rigid smooth-wall pvc is most resistant to clogging, depending on what comes down the drainpipe.
You might also want to address the slope of the ground around the house if water tends to pool there. It should slope at least 1/4" per foot away from the foundation.

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 3:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mav3481

Randy,

It's not so much that water pools, its that the gutters/downspouts can't handle the water (it drains probably 1/3 of the house through one downspout - being replaced soon).

I'll stick with the PVC since it'll only be rainwater to get rid of. I just wanted to make sure that someone else would think it was a good idea also.

Thanks!

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 6:36PM
More Discussions
Help with smelly well water
Just a little background. We bought a house 3 years...
cmonkey
toilet flapper closes too fast
a 5 y.o. AS 4396 w/Fluidmaster guts. The flapper is...
fritzgarden
the dreaded frozen pipes...
Hello all, I hope someone out there can help me. I...
kineala
Fire Sprinkler
Purchasing a home with an indoor fire sprinkler system....
jglo
shower problem....can someone give me a clue?
My hot water plumbing JUST started acting "wonky."...
bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™